ICC U-19 World Cup 2022
ICC U-19 World Cup final 2022, India cruised to a four-wicket victory against England, at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua, on February 5, 2022.
- The win was also a record-extending fifth U-19 title for India.
- ICC U-19 Indian team chased down a target of 190 runs in 47.4 overs and reached 195 for six.
- Nishant Sindhu played an unbeaten match-winning knock of 50 runs on 54 balls to help India win the match.
- Shaik Rasheed also played a crucial knock, hitting 50 runs off 84 balls for India.
- Joshua Boyden, Thomas Aspinwall and James Sales took two wickets each for England’s bowling department.
- England were bowled out for 189 in 44.5 overs.
2022 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup
It was an international limited-overs cricket tournament, held in January-February 2022 in West Indies. 16 teams took part in the game. It was the fourteenth edition of Under-19 Cricket World Cup. It was the first tournament, held in West Indies. Bangladesh were the defending champions.
Cricket West Indies confirmed in March 2021 that the format would be same as previous editions, where team competing to progress to the Plate and Super League phases of this tournament. The ICC confirmed full schedule for this tournament in November 2021.
Venue for matches
Matches were played in Antigua, Saint Kitts, Guyana, and Trinidad. Final match was played at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua.
Why New Zealand withdrew?
New Zealand withdrew from the tournament because of extensive mandatory quarantine restrictions for minors on their return home. Scotland was named as their replacement.
First team to the final
England was the first team to reach final of the tournament, after beating Afghanistan by 15 runs in first Super League semi-final match. England reached to final for the first time, since winning 1998 tournament in South Africa. In the second semi-final, India won against Australia by 96 runs.
Category: Sports Current Affairs