Canada Anti Vaccine Protests
On February 5, 2022, protests again started in Canada’s capital. Protestors joined a convoy of truckers whose have occupied Ottawa to denounce Covid vaccine mandates for two weeks.
- Individuals and families huddled across the campfires in bone-chilling weather.
- They erected bouncy castles for children outside Parliament as well as waved Canadian flags and anti-government placards.
- To limit vehicle access to city centre, Police erected barriers overnight. Police were expecting up to 2,000 protesters and 1,000 counter-protesters to join truckers.
- Similar protests were planned for Quebec City, Toronto, and Winnipeg.
Protests over responses to COVID-19 pandemic
Protests over responses to covid-19 pandemic started on March 15, 2020 and is ongoing since then in Canada. It was caused by local struggles or opposition against government responses to the pandemic. It was started with the goal of:
- Revocation of protective measures against COVID-19
- Implementing anti-mask laws
- Discouragement of vaccine take-up
- Implementation of protective measures against COVID-19
- Pro-mask laws
- Encouragement of vaccine take-up.
Protests in Canada
Protests started in Canada on April 19, 2020 in Vancouver. Protests also occurred in Toronto, Ottawa and Edmonton. On 21 April 2020, prisoners at Saskatchewan Penitentiary started protesting against restrictions on them against COVID-19. Prisoners were forced to be in their cells for 20 hours a day. In September 2021, people protested against COVID-19 vaccine policies and mask mandates outside Vancouver City Hall. In January 2022, Freedom Convoy 2022 started.
Freedom Convoy 2022
Freedom Convoy 2022 is an ongoing protest by truckers in Canada. The truckers in Canada are protesting against COVID-19 vaccine requirements them to re-enter the country by land. This policy was introduced by Government of Canada on January 15, 2022.
Category: International / World Current Affairs