GK & Current Affairs: July 19, 2013
1. The Dongria Khondh are indigenous tribal groups living in which of the following state?
The Dongria Khondhas are indigenous tribal groups living in Odisha. Their highest concentration is found in the blocks of Rayagada, Kashipur and Kalahadi districts. They are called Dongria or dweller of donger (hill in Odiya) and settle in higher altitudes due to their economic demands.
2. With reference to Rashtriya Swasthya Bhima Yojana (RSBY), which of the following statement is not correct?
[A]RSBY is a scheme of Ministry of Health and Social Welfare
[B]This is a smart card based cashless and paperless health insurance scheme
[C]It provides annual hospitalization cover up to Rs 30,000 for family of five members through health insurance companies
[D]75% of the cost of scheme is borne by Central government and rest is borne by respective state government.
A is incorrect
RSBY was launched by Ministry of Labour and Employment in 2008.
3. The Eravikulam National Park in the Western Kerala is famous for which among the following fauna?
Eravikulam National Park is a national park located in the Idukki district of Kerala. Twenty six species of mammals have been recorded in the park including the largest surviving population of Nilgiri Tahr, estimated about 750 in numbers.
4. Which of the following oil companies has bagged the Oil Industry Safety Directorate’s (OISD) best overall safety performance award 2011-12?
The ONGC, Rajahmundry asset, in the Krishna-Godavari basin has bagged the Oil Industry Safety Directorate’s best overall safety performance of oil and gas onshore assets for 2011-12 and also the most consistent safety performer award.
5. India’s new Chief Justice Palanisamy Sathasivam hails from which among the following states?
64-year-old Justice Palanisamy Sathasivam is the second CJI from Tamil Nadu. Justice M. Patanjali Sastri, who served as CJI from November 1951 to January 1954, hailed from the undivided Madras Presidency.
6. Recently, which of the following cities of United States was making news for Largest-ever municipal bankruptcy in US?
Auto making capital, Detroit became the largest ever US city ever to move for bankruptcy, with a liability running into $ 18 billion. Detroit has more than $ 18 billion in debt and unfunded liabilities and doesn’t have the revenues to meet those obligations and provide adequate services to its people.
7. Which among the following is / are biodiversity hotspots in India?
1. Western Ghat
2. Eastern Himalayas
3. Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Choose the correct option from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
Only 1 & 2
India has only two biological hotspots, namely Himalaya (Eastern Himalayas) and the Western Ghat. The Eastern Himalaya forms a distinct floral region and comprises of Nepal, Bhutan, States of East and North-East India, and a contiguous sector of Yunnan provenance in South Western China. The Western Ghat region, which is spread in 6 states of India, is considered to be one of the most important bio-geographic zones of India, as it is one of the richest sources of endemism.
8. Consider the following statements about a country in central Asia:
1. The biggest city of this country is Almaty, which was also its capital till 1997
2. The capital of this country is known as second coldest capital city in the world after Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
3. The country is headed by Nursultan Nazarbayev
Identify the country from the given options:
KAZAKHSTAN’S capital, Astana, celebrated its 15th anniversary on July 6th. In 1997 it replaced leafy Almaty as Kazakhstan’s capital (though Almaty remains the bigger city).
9. Which one of the following navigable lake is located at the highest altitude in the world?
Lake Titicaca is often called the highest navigable lake in the world, with a surface elevation of 3,812m (12,507 ft). By volume of water, it is the largest lake in the South America.
10. Justice Malimath Committee report 2003 is related to the reforms in ___:
[A]Hindu Personal Law
[B]Criminal Justice System
Criminal Justice System
The above quiz has 10 questions. GKToday is publishing 20 questions with explanations every day in its Current Affairs - 2020 Daily MCQ Series in Academy App for nominal fee of Rs. 600/- a year. Download Now
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »