GK & Current Affairs – February 18, 2016
1. Which of the following country has decided to sell nuclear-capable F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan?
Answer: United States
Recently, the United States has decided to sell eight nuclear-capable F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan. India expressed its disappointment with the US decision.
2. U K Sinha has been reappointed as the Chairman of which of the following organisation?
UK Sinha will remain SEBI Chairman till March 1, 2017 with the government extending his term for the second time. Sinha was initially appointed for a three-year term during the UPA regime and was later given a two-year extension. While his current term was to end on February 17, he was eligible for a one-year extension as a person can hold the position of SEBI Chairman till the age of 65, which Sinha would reach next March.
3. Which of the following countries finished with second and third positions respectively in medals tally at South Asian Games 2016?
[A]Pakistan and Bangladesh
[B]Sri Lanka and Bangladesh
[C]Sri Lanka and Pakistan
[D]Bangladesh and Nepal
Answer: Sri Lanka and Pakistan
In the recently concluded 12th South Asian games, India finished on top with 308 medals (188 gold, 90 silver and 30 bronze). Sri Lanka stood at second position with a haul of 186 medals (25 silver, 63 silver and 98 bronze). Pakistan held on to the third spot with a final count of 106 medals (12 gold, 37 silver and 57 bronze).
4. Which e-commerce company has launched ‘Tatkal’ initiative for small and medium businesses?
E-commerce giant Amazon has launched ‘Amazon Tatkal’, an initiative that enables small and medium businesses (SMBs) to go online and sell products on Amazon.
5. The 13th South Asian games will be held in which country?
Nepal will host the 13th South Asian Games (SAG) in 2018. Nepal, which had hosted the inaugural edition in 1984, also organized the eighth edition in 1999 and the 2018 SAG will be the third for Nepal.
6. Former U.N. Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali, who passed away recently, hails from which country?
Boutros Boutros-Ghali (93), former secretary-general of the United Nations, passed away in Egypt. Boutros-Ghali was the first Arab and first African to serve in the position of secretary- general of the UN.
7. What is the name of the recently launched India’s Cheapest Smartphone?
[B]Global India 66
Answer: Freedom 251
The Noida based handset maker Ringing Bells has launched India’s cheapest smartphone “Freedom 251” for under Rs.500. The 3G enabled Android Lollipop-based handset has a 4-inch display, Qualcomm 1.3-GHz quad-core processor and 1 GB RAM. It will have an on-board storage of 8 GB with support for expandable memory of up to 32 GB. It features a 3.2-MP rear and a 0.3-MP front facing camera and a 1,450-mAh battery. It has been launched by Union Defence Minister Manohar Parikkar.
8. The U.S.-based BAE Systems is partnering with which Indian company for assembling & testing M777 howitzers?
[A]Bharat Dynamics Ltd
[B]Mahindra Defence Systems Ltd
[C]Mazagon Dock Ltd
[D]Bharat Electronics Ltd
Answer: Mahindra Defence Systems Ltd
BAE Systems Plc has selected Mahindra Defence Systems Ltd, the defence production firm of the Mahindra Group, as its business partner for the proposed in-country assembly, integration and test (AIT) facility for the M777 Ultra Lightweight Howitzer.
9. The Woody Island is located in which sea?
[B]Bay of Bengal
[C]South China Sea
Answer: South China Sea
China has deployed surface-to-air missiles on Woody Island, part of the Paracel chain in the hotly disputed South China Sea. China controls the Paracel chain, but Taiwan and Vietnam also claim it; Brunei, Malaysia and the Philippines are also embroiled in disputes with China over islands in the region and their surrounding waters.
10. Which state government has signed an agreement with taxi aggregator Uber to create 75,000 jobs across the state?
Taxi app Uber has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the government of Maharashtra through the Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Department (SDED) to help create 75,000 entrepreneurship opportunities across the state. .
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »