GK & Current Affairs: December 4-6, 2014 (Updated)
1. Which among the following is world’s largest Mangrove forest?
[D]Malayan Peninsula mangroves
Sundarbans – a UNESCO-listed World Heritage Site. Sundrban has world’s largest mangrove forest which is home to wide range of fauna, including 260 bird species, the Bengal tiger and other threatened species such as the estuarine crocodile and the Indian python. It is also home to the rare Irrawaddy dolphin.
2. Which among the following dates will be annually observed as ‘International Day of Yoga’?
21st June will be annually observed as ‘International Day of Yoga’ after United Nations General Assembly (UN-GA) adopted an India-led resolution. UN has adopted this resolution under the agenda of ‘Global Health and Foreign Policy’
3. World’s largest cruise ship terminal is located in ___?
The world’s largest cruise ship terminal- Hamdan bin Mohammed Cruise Terminal was recently unveiled in Dubai. This newly opened terminal can handle 14,000 cruise passengers a day, thus making it world’s largest.
4. Which among the following countries is currently is the largest importer and processer of rough diamonds?
5. Which among the following is correct about “Liaoning”?
[A]China’s first aircraft carrier
[B]Japan’s first moon probe
[C]South Korea’s first warship
[D]North Korea’s nuclear powered submarine
China’s first aircraft carrier
6. Recently, Reserve Bank of India has come up with its guidelines for setting up and operating the trade receivables discounting system (TReDS). Who among the following are the prime beneficiaries of TReDS?
[A]Foreign Currency Traders
[B]Farmers and Farmer Organizations
[C]Micro, small and medium enterprises
[D]Service Exporters and Tour Operators
Micro, small and medium enterprises
7. India is participating in the development of software for world’s largest telescope i.e. Thirty-Metre Telescope (TMT). What is the location of this telescope?
India will spend Rs.1299.8 crore on this Hawaii based telescope over the next decade. TMT will contain 492 hexagonal mirror segments of 82 different kinds.
8. In the recently released global Corruption Perception Index, India ranks better than all its South Asian neighbours, except one country. Which one is that country?
With a score of 36, India now ranks 85 among 175 countries, with countries such as Sri Lanka, Thailand and Burkina Faso for company. Denmark ranks first, as it did in 2013, while Somalia and North Korea share the bottom spot. India ranks better than all its South Asian neighbours, except Bhutan.
9. Recently, India’s Supreme Court has set up a Social Justice Bench for delivery of speedy justice in a range of social issues related to the downtrodden and socially marginalised groups. Who among the following will head this bench?
[A]Justice H L Dattu
[B]Justice Madan B. Lokur
[C]Justice U.U. Lalit
[D]None of them
Justice Madan B. Lokur
In December 2014, the Supreme Court has set up a special Bench, called the Social Justice Bench, comprising two judges devoted to the delivery of speedy justice in a range of social issues related to the downtrodden and socially marginalised groups. This bench will be headed by Justice Madan B. Lokur and also have Justice U.U. Lalit. The Bench has started functioning from December 12. It sits every Friday at 2 p.m.
10. Recently (December 2014), U.N. General Assembly (UNGA) passed a resolution calling on three countries to voluntarily abandon their nuclear weapons. Which among the following countries was not among these three?
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|