Zhurong: China’s first Mars rover
China has named its first Mars rover as Zhurong after a traditional fire god. The name signifies igniting the flame of Planetary Explorations of China.
- Zhurong is on board Tianwen-1 Space probe.
- It arrived at the Mars orbit in February 2021 and is due to land on the planet in May 2021.
- With Zhurong, China will become the third country after Soviet Union and USA to achieve soft landing on Mars. Also, it will become the second country put a rover on Mars after the US.
- Zhurong weighs 240 kilograms and is solar powered.
- Zhurong carries multispectral cameras and instruments to analyse the composition of the rocks. It will investigate subsurface characteristics with ground penetrating radar.
- The main aim of Tianwen-1 is to analyse and map the Martian surface and look for water ice and study the climate and surface environment.
- It was launched in July 2020.
- Tianwen-1 was launched with an orbiter, camera, lander and the Zhurong rover.
- It weighs five tonnes and is one of the heaviest probes launched to Mars.
- It was launched in Long March 5 heavy lift launch vehicle.
- It was the second of the three space missions sent to Mars in 2020. The other missions launched were as follows:
- The “Hope Orbiter” by United Ara Emirates
- Perseverance Rover and Ingenuity helicopter on Mars 2020 by US
China recently became the first country to land a space probe on the little explored far side of the moon. It returned to the earth in December with lunar rocks for the first time since 1970s.
Utopia Planitia of Mars
The Chinese Mission to Mars Tianwen 1 recently landed in the Utopia Planitia. It is the place where ...
Tianwen-1: Chinese Rover lands on Mars
On May 14, 2021, the Chinese Spacecraft Tianwen 1 landed on Mars successfully. It was launched in Ju...
China launches classified Yaogan satellites into orbit
China recently launched Changsei 2C rocket from the Xichang satellite launch centre. It is a Yaogan ...
Perseverance rover begins to study ancient crater’s floor
The Perseverance rover of Mars 2020 mission is to study the floor of an ancient crater of Mars. The ...
What is Commodity Super Cycle?
The prices of commodities from corn to crude oil to rubber, rhodium, copper, soy bean has been incre...
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|