Coronil received AYUSH certification
The Divya Coronil medicine by Patanjali has received the certification from AYUSH Ministry in accordance with the WHO certification norms.
- Coronil has now been certified as a drug which can be used as supporting measure to fight Covid-19 and as an immunity-booster.
- The drug has received the Certificate of Pharmaceutical Product (CoPP) from the Ayush section of the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation.
- Patanjali has also released a booklet with nine peer-reviewed papers that certifies the efficacy of Coronil.
Patanjali had launched the Coronil tablets in June 2020. It was developed at Haridwar-based Divya Prakashan Patanjali Research Institute. The Patanjali group had claimed that the drug cures the Covid-19 in seven days. But, AYUSH Ministry then put a ban on Patanjali from selling it as a “cure”. The ministry had asked the details regarding the trials. Apart from that, the Rajasthan government also sent a notice to NIMS Hospital in Jaipur where the trials were conducted on Covid patients.
What are the implications of certification?
As per the Certificate of Pharmaceutical Products (CoPP) certification, the drug can be exported to 158 countries. It also allows the World Health Organisation to inspect manufacturer at intervals. Most of the competent authorities from the importing countries require that the CPP should be issued by country of origin.
Certificate of pharmaceutical product
It is a certificate which is issued as per the recommended of World Health Organization (WHO) in the specified format. This certification establishes the status of pharmaceutical product. It also gives status to the applicant in the exporting country. The certification is issued for a single product. The content of CPP comprises of understated data:
- Exporting country or certifying country
- Importing country or requesting country
- Name, dosage form and composition of the product
- Information on registration, licensing and marketing status of product in exporting country
- Number of product license and date of issue
- Appended summary of technical basis on which product has been licensed
- Appended current product information
- Details on the applicant for the CPP.