At the 5th BIMSTEC Summit which will be held in Colombo, Sri Lanka on 30th March, six documents which also include the BIMSTEC Charter, is likely to be adopted and signed.
- The heads of government of the BIMSTEC countries will be joining this Summit via virtual mode while foreign secretaries and minister-level delegations will be joining in person.
- The Summit will be inaugurated by Gotabaya Rajapaksa, the President of Sri Lanka.
The five other documents that are to be signed are:
- MoU on mutual cooperation between diplomatic training or academies institutions of BIMSTEC Member States,
- BIMSTEC convention on criminal matters mutual legal assistance,
- Memorandum of Association (MoA) BIMSTEC Technology Transfer Facility establishment in Colombo,
- BIMSTEC Master Plan for Transport Connectivity,
- Reorganization and Rationalization of BIMSTEC’s sub-sectors and sectors.
The theme of the 5th BIMSTEC Summit
“BIMSTEC-Towards a Resilient Region, Prosperous Economies and Healthy Peoples” is the theme for the 5th BIMSTEC Summit.
Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation or BIMSTEC aims to create an environment so that rapid economic development is achieved along with accelerated social progress, and promoting collaboration in this region. Its headquarters is located in Dhaka, Bangladesh and the current chairmanship is with Sri Lanka.
BIMSTEC member countries
It consists of seven-member states which are India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Thailand.