Sanjeev Sanyal: New Member of EAC-PM
Recently, Sanjeev Sanyal has been appointed to the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM) as a full-time member.
- Sanyal had previously served as the Finance Minister’s Principal Economic Adviser under Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government.
- He had been working in the financial markets since the mid-1990s. Till 2015, he was the Managing Director and Global Strategist at Deutsche Bank.
- In 2017, he was appointed as the Indian government’s Principal Economic Adviser. He also serves as the of the G20 Framework Working Group.
- In 2007, he received the Eisenhower Fellowship for his work on urban issues.
- The Government of Singapore had honored him at the World Cities Summit in 2014.
- He has written several books which include The Indian Renaissance: India’s Rise After a Thousand Years of Decline,’ ‘Land of the Seven Rivers: A Brief History of India’s Geography,’ and, The Incredible History of India’s Geography.
- Sanjeev Sanyal attended Shri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi, and as a Rhodes Scholar the St. John’s College, Oxford.
The Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM) is an independent body that was constituted to provide advice to the central government and the PM on economic and related problems. The council provides its inputs regarding key economic issues from a neutral viewpoint. Since India’s independence, this council has been constituted multiple times with PM Modi reviving it in 2017. The current chairman of this council is Dr. Bibek Debroy.