National Biopharma Mission- Highlights
Department of Biotechnology (DBT) has initiated cabinet approved National Biopharma Mission with the objective of strengthening emerging biotechnology enterprise across India. Mission is entitled as “Industry-Academia Collaborative Mission for Accelerating Discovery Research to Early Development for Biopharmaceuticals – Innovate in India (I3) Empowering biotech entrepreneurs & accelerating inclusive innovation”.
National Biopharma Mission
National Biopharma mission was launched to support small and medium enterprises in order for them to overcome the risks associated with early stages of development of products. It promotes entrepreneurship by supporting enhanced industry-academia inter-linkages. It also provides mentoring & training for academia, innovators and entrepreneurs. The mission further promotes domestic manufacturing by shared national facilities like GLP Analytical facilities, cell line repositories and setting clinical trial network.
Objectives of the mission
Biopharma mission was launched with understated objectives:
- To develop products from leads which are at advanced stages of product development lifecycle.
- To strengthen and establish shared infrastructure facilities to validate & manufacture the products.
- To develop human capital by providing specific training in order to address ‘critical skills gaps’ in researchers and nascent biotech companies.
- To create & enhance technology transfer and intellectual property management capacities across public and private sector.
Targets of the Mission
Specific targets of the mission are:
- To develop 5 biopharma products like biotherapeutics, Vaccines, medical devices and diagnostics.
- To establish the shared infrastructure and facilities like GLP Validation and Reference Lab.
- Med-Tech validation facility.
- Translational & interdisciplinary research, process development and development of cell lines.
- To set up and establish technology transfer offices in public and private sector.
- To impart technical and non-technical skill development.
Innovate in India (I3)
I3 is an industry- academia collaborative mission by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) which was launched in collaboration with World Bank to accelerate discovery research. It will be implemented by Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC). Mission was launched with the aim of enabling and nurturing an ecosystem to preparing technological and product development capabilities of India in biopharmaceutical to make it globally competitive. It also seeks to transform the health standards of India’s population by developing affordable product.