Narada Bribery Case: Ministers arrested in West Bengal
On May 17, 2021, the Central Bureau of Investigation arrested the Ministers of West Bengal, Subrata Mukherjee, Firhad Hakim, TMC MLA Madan Mitra and Sovan Chattopadhyay (former Kolkata Mayor).
The Calcutta High Court had ordered a CBI probe against the sting operation in Narada Bribery case in March 2017.
The Narada Bribery case in short
In short, in Narada Bribery Case the state ministers were shown taking money in a video footage. These tapes about the ministers were released ahead of 2016 State Assembly polls.
- The Narada Sting Operation was conducted by the Narada News Founder Mathew Samuel in West Bengal.
- This operation was published on a private news website called Narada News.
- It is to be noted that Samuel is the former Managing Director of Tehelka.
- Under the operation, Samuel formed a fake company called Impex Consultancy Solutions.
- He then approached MPs and TMC ministers asking them favours in return for money.
- The ministers accepted the bribe. This was recorded and was released in the news site as a 52 hour footage.
- The MLAs and ministers in the video footage were Aparupa Poddar, Suvendu Adhikari, Prasum Bannerjee, Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar, Sougata Roy, Mukul Roy.
Is CBI allowed to investigate a crime in a state?
- CBI can investigate a crime in the state only after the consent from the State Government.
- In November 2020, some of the State Governments including West Bengal revoked the general consent to the CBI.
- Later the SC pronounced a judgement on this issue that general consent must for a CBI probe.
- However, the Supreme Court or the High court shall order CBI to conduct investigation anywhere in the country.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2021