Role of Civil Services in Democracy
- Has the Cadre based Civil Services Organisation been the cause of slow change in India? Critically examine.
- Critically examine the implications of Lateral exit as well as lateral entry towards improving performance and efficiency of the civil services in India?
- Productive government work-force is a prerequisite for effective public service delivery. However, in India, the productivity of government workers is a major public management problem. Critically examine the key problems and suggest policy measures to address them.
- Examine the key issues in the present cadre-based organization of Civil Services in India. To what extent, the government's proposed policy addresses these issues? Do you think that such a policy would help in national integration also?
- In a welfare state, the role of bureaucracy is crucial in service delivery. What are the issues that lead to faulty implementation? Also, suggest measures to ensure effective implementation.
- The 360-degree appraisal system introduced to replace the ACR/APAR seems to have created widespread resentment among Government servants. Discuss its working and major issues in the light of parliamentary standing committee report.
- Initially Civil Services in India were designed to achieve the goals of neutrality and effectiveness, which seems to be lacking in the present context. Do you agree with the view that drastic reforms are required to Civil Services? Comment.
- A basic principle of management is that the responsibility/ accountability should not be divested from authority; however, generally it is found that there is a mismatch between authority and accountability in public service in India. Discuss suggesting how the congruence between authority and responsibility can be ensured in public services.
- Examine the functional contribution of civil society to good governance.
- Discuss the steps taken by current NDA Government to reorient the work culture of bureaucrats and ministers. To what extent, the steps taken so far have been able to change the complexion of relationship between bureaucracy, political executive and citizens of the country? Critically analyse.
This is a dynamic E-Book comprising the below UPSC Mains Model Questions as well as their answers written by GKToday team. The PDF E-Book can be instantly downloaded after payment. No Hadcopy is provided.
Disclaimer: These questions have been written and answered by GKToday team over the period of time; and have included some previous years questions also. While every effort was made to ensure that these questions as well as their answers remain relevent and correct, it is possible, that some facts or context in some questions might have changed over time. GKToday does not assume and hereby disclaims any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by such change of facts or context in the questions and answers of this E-book.