IIT-Kanpur urges for PM’s intervention on proposed CET
IIT-Kanpur wrote a letter “The Faculty Forum” seeking direct and exigent intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to settle the issue of newly proposed Common Entrance Test by HRD ministry
- According to IIT- Kanpur the current format of CET can endanger the prestige & status of IITs
- The Faculty Forum suggested that by replacing the AIEEE, NIT, IIT-JEE exams and changing the exam format to a single CET, would burden the engineering aspirants with pressure and tension.
- It urged the PM to use his "good offices" to quash the proposed CET format
- IIT-Kanpur announced that it would hold its own entrance test from 2013
- IIT-Kanpur is resent with the HRD ministry’s move to merge IIT-JEE with the AIEEE
- The institute finds that the move is in violation of the Institutes of Technology Act (1961) and IIT Kanpur Ordinances (Ordinance 3.2 (Admissions)