GK & Current Affairs: September 1, 2, 2015
1. Recently, CCoTVM and PARICHAALAN initiatives have been launched by __? [A]Indian Railways [B]Ministry of Finance [C]NABARD [D]National Highways Authority of India
Indian Railways The Union Railway Minister, Mr. Suresh Prabhu launched three IT initiatives developed by Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS). These are a) Paperless Unreserved Ticketing through Mobile Phone between New Delhi – Palwal Section (NR). b) Currency Coin cum Card operated Automatic Ticket Vending Machines (CCoTVM) at New Delhi Railway Station. c) Mobile Application for Freight Operations (PARICHAALAN). The Parichaalan is a mobile application conceptualized to make decision making on freight operations absolutely easy and user friendly.
2. Vadakkunnathan Temple is located in Kerala at __? [A]Trivandrum [B]Kozhikode [C]Thrissur [D]Vellayani
Thrissur India won the top UNESCO prize ‘Award of Excellence’ 2015 for the remarkable conservation efforts of the majestic Sree Vadakkunnathan Temple at Thrissur, Kerala. It is an ancient Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The award recognises the remarkable conservation effort undertaken at the sacred site which employed age-old rituals and conservation techniques drawn from vastu shastra focusing on architecture and construction.
3. Which African city will host the 2022 Commonwealth Games? [A]Pretoria [B] Kimberley [C]Johannesburg [D]Durban
Durban The South African city of Durban is selected as the host for the 2022 Commonwealth Games at the Federation’s general assembly in Auckland, New Zealand.
4. Which state government of India launched One Stop Centre “Sakhi” to help women in distress? [A]Chattisgarh [B]Haryana [C]Uttar Pradesh [D]Madhya Pradesh
Haryana To help women in distress, the state government of Haryana launched “Sakhi” a One Stop Crisis Centre (OSCC) at Karnal district. The centre will provide help and assistance to rape survivors and victims of dowry harassment, domestic violence and other atrocities on women, all under one roof. It is an initiative of Union Government under the ‘Nirbhaya Fund’ for women safety pertaining to strategic areas of prevention, protection and rehabilitation.
5. Who has been appointed as CMD of India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO)? [A]R J Mishra [B]L K Jha [C]L C Goyal [D]Anil Goswami
L C Goyal Mr. L C Goyal, a 1979 batch Kerala cadre IAS, has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the Indian Trade Promotion Organization (ITPO), a miniratna Public sector undertaking (PSU). An ITPO is the nodal agency of the Government of India (GoI) under aegis of Ministry of Commerce and Industry for promoting country’s external trade.
6. Which of the following banks has been declared by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) as Domestic Systemically Important Banks (D- SIBs)? [A]HDFC and ICICI [B]ICICI and SBI [C]SBI and HDFC [D]PNB and SBI
ICICI and SBI The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) declared State Bank of India (SBI) and ICICI Bank as Domestic Systemically Important Banks (D- SIBs).
7. The “Buchi Babu Memorial Trophy” is associated with which sports? [A]Cricket [B]Badminton [C]Hockey [D]Football
Cricket The Buchi Babu Memorial Trophy has been won by Mumbai by defeating Tamil Nadu in the All India invitation cricket tournament by 6 wickets. This annual cricket tournament has been named after Mothavarapu Buchi Babu Naidu (1868–1908) who is considered as the father of South Indian cricket.
8. Which Union Ministry launched the Smart National Common Mobility Card (NCMC), recently? [A]Ministry of Railways [B]Ministry of Home Affairs [C]Ministry of Foreign Affairs [D]Ministry of Urban Development
Ministry of Urban Development The Ministry of Urban Development launched a Smart National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) model to enable seamless travel by different metros and other transportation systems across the country besides being used for shopping as well. This card meets travel needs based on stored value of money and can be used for travelling by any means of transport and also enables account based retail applications.
9. Who has been selected for the prestigious 2014 US National Humanities Medal? [A]Alice McMurtry [B]Larry Waters [C]Jhumpa Lahiri [D]All of the above
All of the above The Indian-American Pulitzer Prize winner Ms. Jhumpa Lahiri has been selected for the prestigious 2014 US National Humanities Medal. The other recepients are The Clemente Course in the Humanities, Annie Dillard, Everett L. Fly, Rebecca Newberger Goldstein, Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham, Fedwa Malti-Douglas, Larry McMurtry, Vicki Lynn Ruiz and Alice Waters. The medal honors an individual or organization whose work has deepened the nation’s understanding of the human experience, broadened citizens’ engagement with history and literature or helped preserve and expand Americans’ access to cultural resources.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »