GK & Current Affairs Quiz: August 28, 2019
Watch Video Here
1. The 8th edition of joint military exercise titled Shaheen VIII has started between the air forces of China and Pakistan in Chinese city of Holton, which is closer to the Indian border near Ladakh. The purpose of the exercise is to improve training standards of the two air forces through mutual learning. It comes at a time when the country's relations with Pakistan have hit rock-bottom. The air to air war games is said to be an exercise to develop a mechanism for interoperability of both countries' air forces. The Indian Air Force (IAF) is keeping a close eye on the Pakistan-China aerial exercise in which both the countries have deployed latest fighter jets.
2. Wing Commander Shalija Dhami has scripted history by becoming India’s first female officer of the Indian Air Force (IAF) to become the Flight Commander of a flying unit. She took over as flight commander of a Chetak helicopter unit at Hindon airbase in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh. Chetak is a single engine turbo shaft, light utility helicopter with capacity of 6 passengers and has maximum speed of 220 km/hour. Flight Commander is the second in command of the unit. The helicopter is suitable for commuting, cargo / material transport, casualty evacuation, Search & Rescue (SAR), Aerial Survey & MAybePatrolling, Emergency Medical Services, Off-shore operations and Under slung operations.
3. E-commerce major Amazon India has launched a Military Veterans Employment programme in the country to create hundreds of opportunities for military veterans and their spouses across the company’s fulfilment centres. For this noble cause, Amazon India has partnered with the Office of the Director General of Resettlement (DGR) and the Army Welfare Placement Organisation (AWPO) to create continued work opportunities for military families across the country.
4. The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) under its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) has launched the National Digital Library of India (NDLI) project to develop a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility. Till date, there are more than 3 crore digital resources available through the National Digital Library (NDL). The contents cover almost all major domains of education and all major levels of learners. More than 50 lakh students have registered themselves in the National Digital Library with about 20 lakh active users. The NDL has been integrated with UMANG App and users can register through www.ndl.gov.in or through the mobile app.
5. In Dehradun, the Indian Institute of Petroleum (IIP) has set up a plant which can turn plastic waste into diesel. The plant was recently inaugurated by the Union Science and Technology Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan. The plant is not just a good step towards freedom from plastic but will also reduce India’s dependence on other countries for petroleum products. The plant will also boost economic growth as it will produce 800 litres of diesel from one tonne of plastic waste which will be collected with the help of NGOs.
6. Indian Para-badminton player Manasi Joshi from Rajkot has recently clinched her first gold in women's singles category at the BWF Para Badminton World Championships in Basel, Switzerland. In the final, she defeated 3-time SL3 world champion Parul Parmar with a score of 21-12, 21-7.
7. The US Technovation Challenge is the world’s largest technology and entrepreneurship programme for girls which runs across 100+ countries. It is supported by Salesforce.org, Google.org, the Adobe Foundation, Uber, Samsung, BNY Mellon as well as UNESCO, the Peace Corps and UN Women. The competition was recently held in San Francisco. In it, from India, the mobile app “Maitri” clinched the bronze medal at global tech competition. The app was developed by the Noida-based girl team ‘Tech Witches’ to connect children at orphanages with senior citizens in old-age homes. The purpose of the app is to bring together individuals suffering from loneliness and depression and those lacking the nurturing love of elderly role models. The app is available for free on Google playstore & also allows users to volunteer and donate to old-age homes and orphanages
8. Eric Cantona, the former Manchester United forward and France legend , has been awarded the UEFA President's Award in Monaco in recognition of his playing career and commitment to charitable causes after it. Cantona won four Premier League titles in five years with United in the 1990s and scored 64 goals for the Old Trafford club in 143 appearances.
9. The Madhya Pradesh government has decided to offer modern nursery education at anganwadis (or childcare centres ) on the lines of private nursery schools. Under this scheme, all the 97,000 anganwadis of the state would be covered. In the first phase, a nursery school has been opened at each anganwadi across 313 administrative blocks across the state from August 28. Children would be imparted education based on 'learning by playing' method in a bid to strengthen their foundation by the time they get admission in regular schools.
10. Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has recently launched a school education portal 'Shagun', which links over 15 lakh schools across the country to provide all the information on school education. The schools have been geo-tagged and all the data provided by them can be accessed through this portal. According to HRD officials, there would also be a third-party verification of the information provided by schools. Through this initiative, more than 2.3 lakh educational websites can be integrated.