First Advance Estimates of production of major kharif crops
The Central government has released the first-ever advance estimates of production of major Kharif crops.
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has released the advance estimates of production of major Kharif crops for 2022-23.
- The recently released estimates predict the production of 149.92 million tonnes of food grains in the country.
- This is lesser than the target of 163.15 million tonne for the Kharif 2022-23 season and the production of 156.04 million tonnes during the last kharif season (2021).
- During the last kharif season, the total kharif foodgrain production was 150.58 million tonnes.
- The rice production is expected to be 104.99 million tonnes, which is higher by 4.40 million tonnes than the average production of Kharif rice in the last five years from 2016-17 to 2020-21.
- However, it is 6 per cent lesser than the production of 111.76 million tonnes during the last season.
- The kharif rice production is expected to be lesser than the target of 112 million tonnes set for the current season and 105.21 million tonne figure of 2020-21.
- Nutri/coarse cereals production is expected to stand at 36.56 million tonnes, which is higher by 2.92 million tonnes than the average production of 33.64 million tonnes.
- The total pulses production is expected to reach 8.37 million tonnes and tur production is predicted to be at 3.89 million tonnes.
- The maize production is expected to reach 23.10 million tonnes. This is higher by 3.21 million tonnes than the average maize production of 19.89 million tonnes.
- The oilseeds production is expected to stand at 23.57 million tonnes, groundnuts are predicted to be at 8.37 million tonnes and soybean at 12.89 million tonnes.
- Other crops like cotton stood at 34.19 million bales and jute and mesta at 10.09 million bales.
- The total production of sugarcane in 2022-23 is expected to reach 465.05 million tonnes – higher by 91.59 million tonnes than average sugarcane production of 373.46 million tonnes.