FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup 2022
The Union Cabinet has approved the signing for hosting the FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup 2022 in India.
- The 2022 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup is the 7th edition of the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup.
- It is scheduled to be held from October 11 to 30, 2022.
- The FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup is held every two years.
- It is organized by Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) since 2008.
- It is contested by the under-17 national teams of the member associations of FIFA.
- Traditionally, it has been held in even-numbered years.
- India was to host the 2020 edition, which was cancelled because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The 2022 edition is the second time that India hosts a FIFA tournament after the men’s2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup and first time that the country hosts a FIFA women’s football tournament.
- Financial outlay of Rs.10 crore to All India Football Federation (AIFF) will be provided by the government from the budgetary allocation for the Scheme of Assistance to National Sports Federations (NSFs).
- It will be used for maintenance, stadium power, energy and cabling and stadia and training site branding.
- In this tournament, Spain would be the defending champion. It had won its first title in 2018 during the 6th edition that was held in Uruguay.
- Morocco, Tanzania and India would be making a debut in this tournament.
- The tournament would be held in three venues – Bhubaneshwar, Navi Mumbai and Goa.
FIFA is an international governing body of association of football, beach football and futsal. It was founded in 1904 to oversee international competitions among national associations. Currently, FIFA has 211 national associations. These associations must be a member of one of the six regional confederations of Africa, Asia, Europe, North and Central America and the Caribbean, Oceania and South America. Russia was suspended in 2022.