New Soybean Variety: MACS 1407
The Indian scientists recently developed a new Soy Bean variety called the “MACS 1407”. The new variety was developed by the Agharkar Research Institute of Pune along with the Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
About MACS 1407
- It is a high yielding variety that gives 39 quintals per hectare.
- The new variety takes 104 days to mature and 43 days for 50% flowering.
- The new variety has yellow seeds, white coloured flowers and black hilum.
- The seeds have 41% protein and 19.81% oil content.
- The stem of the new Soybean variety is thick. This provides higher pod insertion, which is, till seven centimetres.
- It has good resistance for pod shaking. This makes it highly suitable for mechanical harvesting.
- Their germinability is high.
- The variety is best suited for the rain fed regions of North East India.
- It is resistant to pests such as leaf miner, leaf roller, girdle beetle, stem fly, white fly, aphids and defoliators.
- It is resistant to vagaries of monsoon. Vagaries of monsoon are the abnormal activities that affect the seasonal pattern of rainfall. It is caused due to the late or early arrival of monsoon. It tends to ruin the crops.
What is the plan?
The MACS 1407 Soybean variety is to be made available to farmers in 2022 Kharif season.
Soybean production in India
In 2019, India produced 90 million tonnes of soybean.
Seasons in India
There are three main agricultural seasons in India. They are Kharif, Rabi and Zaid. During the Kharif season, the crops are sown in June and July. They are then harvested in September, October. In Rabi season, the crops are sown in October to November. They are harvested in April, June.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2021
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|