Delhi to switch all its hired vehicles to EVs in 6 months
The Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia, announced that all departments of Delhi government will now use only electric vehicles. This transition to the electric vehicles will be done within 6 months.
- The Delhi government has over 2,000 cars in use.
- The minister is of the view that this decision will inspire other cities in the country as well as world which is a key decision to tackle the issues like pollution and climate change.
- This announcement was made after the government launched ‘Switch Delhi’ campaign.
- The transition from the diesel or petrol vehicle to EVs will be monitored by the Transport Department of Delhi.
- Further, the departments under the government are required to produce monthly action reports on the transition to EVs to the nodal department.
Switch Delhi Campaign
- Switch Delhi Campaign was launched in order to encourage the private vehicle owners to shift to the electric vehicles and install a charging point in their premises within three years.
- It is an eight-week mass awareness campaign.
- This campaign seeks to sensitize each and every Delhiite regarding the benefits of switching to EVs.
- It also seeks to make the public aware of the incentives and infrastructure which are being developed under Delhi’s EV policy.
- The campaign was launched with the aim of informing, encouraging, and motivating every person in Delhi to switch from the polluting vehicles to zero-emission electric vehicles.
- First two weeks of the campaign will focus to promote two and three-wheeler owners to adopt to EVs.
- While, the third week of the campaign will focus on four-wheeler vehicle owners to shift to EVs.
The Delhi government had launched its Electric Vehicle Policy in August 2020. The policy was launched in order to tackle the problem of air pollution. Under this policy, the government proposed to waive off the registration fee and road tax. The government will also be providing an incentive of up to ₹1.5 lakh for new electric cars in Delhi. Under it, 12 four-wheeler models are available and eligible to get the purchase and scrapping incentives.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|