All Digital Insurance Policies to be issued via Digilocker app
The Insurance sector regulator Insurance Regulatory Authority of India (IRDAI) has advised all the Insurance companies to issue digital insurance policies using the government’s Digilocker app.
- Issuance of the policies through the Digilocker app will result in to better customer experience.
- Using this app, claims processing and settlement of the policies will be faster.
- This app will also reduce the disputes and reduction in fraud.
- To promote the of adoption of Digi locker in the insurance sector, IRDAI have advised all the insurers to enable their IT systems so as to interact with Digi locker facility.
- It will also enable the policyholders to preserve all their policy documents.
- Necessary technical guidance and logistic support to facilitate the adoption of Digi locker will be provided by the Digilocker team in National e-Governance Division (NeGD) under MeITY.
It is an initiative under the Digital India program. This programme is run by the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY). Under this initiative, citizens can get the authentic documents or certificates in digital format. The certificates can be generated from original issuers of these certificates. The initiative was launched with the aim of eliminating or minimising the use of physical documents. It seeks to enhance the effectiveness of service delivery by making it hassle-free and citizens friendly.
Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI)
It is an autonomous and statutory body in India. The body does the task of regulating and promoting the insurance and reinsurance industries. It was established by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999. It is headquartered in Hyderabad, Telangana. It is a 10-member body comprising of a chairman, five full-time members and four part-time members.
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs