CCS clears procurement of 56 transport aircraft
The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has cleared the procurement of 56 transport aircraft from Airbus on September 8, 2021.
- This decision would provide a major fillip to the transport fleet of Indian Air Force.
- This deal to buy the C-295MW transport aircraft will cost upwards of Rs 20,000 crore.
- First 16 of these aircraft will be delivered from Spain in flyaway condition, within 48 months of the signing of contract.
- Remaining 40 aircrafts will be manufactured in India by a consortium headed by the Tata Group in over 10 years.
- Ministry will buy the transport aircraft from Airbus Defence and Space S.A., Spain.
Significance of the deal
This is the first-of-its-kind deal in India. All the aircraft will be installed with indigenous Electronic Warfare Suite. Thus, it is a unique initiative to strengthen indigenous capabilities. This project will boost the aerospace ecosystem in India because several MSMEs in India will be involved in manufacturing of parts of these aircraft. This deal also provides opportunity to Indian private sector to enter into technology intensive and highly competitive aviation industry.
Which aircraft will be replaced?
C-295MW aircraft will replace the Avro aircraft of Air Force. Avro Aircraft are British-origin twin-engine turboprop, military transport and freighter having a freight capacity of 6-tonne.
What is C-295MW aircraft?
C-295MW is a transport aircraft having a capacity of 5-10 tonne. It also comprises of contemporary technology to replace the ageing Avro aircraft of the IAF. It also comprises of a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para-dropping of troops and cargo.