Cabinet approves implementation of PMKSY for 2021-26
On December 15, 2021, Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved implementation of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) for 2021-26.
- Scheme was implemented with an outlay of Rs.93,068 crore.
- CCEA approved central support of Rs.37,454 crore to States.
- 20,434.56 crore of debt servicing has been approved for loan availed by Government of India to develop irrigation during PMKSY 2016-21.
- As a part of the scheme, Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP), Watershed Development and Har Khet ko Paani (HKKP) components have been extended for 2021-26.
Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP)
- AIBP is a flagship programme, launched by government of India with the aim of providing financial support to irrigation projects.
- With the continuation of scheme during 2021-26, total target of additional irrigation potential creation is 13.88 lakh hectare.
- Beside the focused completion of 60 ongoing projects, additional projects can also be taken up.
- Cabinet has relaxed the inclusion criteria for projects under tribal and drought prone areas.
Har Khet Ko Pani (HKKP)
- Har Khet Ko Pani component of the scheme aims to enhance the physical access on farm & expansion of cultivable area under assured irrigation.
- Under it, repair-renovation-restoration of water bodies and surface minor irrigation components is targeted to provide more of 4.5 lakh hectare irrigation.
- This component of the scheme focuses on development of rainfed areas for soil & water conservation, arresting runoff, regeneration of ground water and promoting extension activities related to water harvesting & management.
- The approved Watershed Development component will cover 49.5 lakh hectare rainfed or degraded lands for bringing additional 2.5 lakh hectare under protective irrigation during 2021-26.
PMKSY scheme was launched in 2015. It is an umbrella scheme that provides central grants to the State Governments for specific activities. It comprises of two major components namely, Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP), and Har Khet Ko Pani (HKKP).