Sanjay Agarwal Committee on MSP
Union Government has constituted “Sanjay Agarwal Committee on Minimum Support Price (MSP)”, to make it more effective and transparent. Committee has been created around eight months later the three farm Acts were repealed.
Members of the Panel
- The committee will be headed by Sanjay Agarwal.
- Other members of the committee include:
- Member of NITI Aayog, Ramesh Chand
- Professor of IIM Ahmedabad, Sukhpal Singh
- Chairman of Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative, Dilip Sanghani
- Secretary of Department of Agriculture
- Secretary of Department of Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- Secretary of Food and Consumer Affairs
- Secretary of Cooperation and Textiles
- Representatives from state governments of Karnataka, Sikkim, Andhra Pradesh, and Odisha.
Sanjay Agarwal Committee has been created, keeping the promise made to farmers when they were protesting against the controversial farm acts. Government had assured to form a committee to consider their demand for legalising MSP.
Tasks given to the committee
- The Sanjay Agarwal committee has been tasked to make suggestions, in a bid to provide greater autonomy to “Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices”. This move is directed towards strengthening agricultural marketing system, in line with changing requirements of India.
- Committee would deal with issues related to natural farming, including:
- Formulating strategies to make krishi vigyan kendras and other R&D institutions as knowledge centres on natural farming,
- Established a chain of laboratories, to provide organic certification to products produced by natural farming.
- Committee will also work on crop diversification, in order to take farmers out of wheat and rice cycles.
- It will finally map the existing cropping patterns of producer and consumer and help in creating a system to provide remunerative prices for sale of new crops.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022