Rs 36,000 Crore in order to ameliorate sanitation in rural areas in 12th Plan: Planning Commission
- Planning Commission allocates Rs 36,000 crore in the 12th Five Year Plan for improving sanitation in Rural Areas
- It is an increment from Rs 7,800 crore in the previous Plan
- About 60% of open defecation in the world are in India
- Government targets to achieve total sanitation in the country in the next 10 years
- Amount allocated for construction of individual household latrines has been doubled from existing Rs 4,600 to nearly Rs10,000
- Total Sanitation Campaign is rechristened as Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan.