Quiz 594: Current Affairs February 8-11, 2012
1. Who amongst them is the Indian envoy sent by India to Maldives to assess the Maldives situation?
[A]Ms. Nirupama Rao
[B]Mr. M. Ganapathi
[C]Mr. Rakesh Sood
[D]Mr. Jaimini Bhagwati
Mr. M. Ganapathi
India evinced desire that the upheaval in Maldives can be adjudicated via passive dialogue. Thus India to utilize its influence in this direction. India has sent an envoy to Maldives to assess the situation. Former President of Maldives M. Nasheed has been asserting that he was expelled in a putsch. Therefore, India sent an envoy : Mr. M Ganapathi, Secretary (West) in the External Affairs Ministry, to Male in order to assess the state of affairs in Maldives.
2. Who amongst the following Indian Cricketers is not part of the ICC Hall of Fame ?
[B]Bishan Singh Bedi
Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar was officially induced into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame. Gavaskar now joins a Hall of Fame that includes 72 male
and female cricketers. The ICC Cricket Hall of Fame “recognises the achievements of the legends of the game from cricket’s long and illustrious history”. A hall of fame, it was launched by the International Cricket Council (ICC) on 2 January 2009, in association with the Federation of International Cricketers’ Associations (FICA), as part of the ICC’s centenary celebrations. Indian Players into ICC Cricket Hall of Fame are:-
2.Bishan Singh Bedi
3. Mr. Baltasar Garzon was in News recently following a controversy. Who is he ?
[A]A US Spy
[B]A French Diplomat
[C]A Spanish Judge
[D]A Russian Spy
A Spanish Judge
Spanish Judge Baltasar Garzon was convicted by the Spanish High Court in an illegal wiretapping case. This put an end to the Judicial career of an individual who achieved world fame for pursuing human rights abuses. He was suspended from his duties as Judge or Magistrate for 11 Years. Mr. Garzon was found guilty of ordering illegal recordings of suspects in a corruption case talking to their lawyers. Mr. Garzon (56), achieved international fame by adjudicating to extradite Chile’s former dictator Augusto Pinochet in 1998, for the averred demises and torment of Spanish citizens.
4. Who is the new non-executive Chairman of its India operations for Vodafone ?
[A]Mr. Malvinder Singh
[B]Mr. Analjit Singh
[C]Mr. Rajesh Kushwaha
[D]Mr. Salim Merchant
Mr. Analjit Singh
Vodafone has nominated Max India founder Analjit Singh as the non-executive Chairman of its India operations. Mr. Singh is the founder and Chairman of
Max India as well as its subsidiaries such as Max New York Life Insurance Company, Max Healthcare Institute and Max Bupa Health Insurance Company.
5. Who was appointed by China in as the 11th reincarnation of the Panchen Lama and has been promoted by China as the leading guiding authority of Tibetan Buddhism in China ?
[B]Gendun Choekyi Nyima
[D]Dr Lobsang Sangay
In a controversial decision in 1995 Gyancian Norbu was appointed by China in place of Gendun Choekyi Nyima. Gendun Choekyi Nyima was earlier
selected by the Dalai Lama as the 11th reincarnation of the Panchen Lama but Gendum Choekyi Nyima disappeared the same year. But many Tibetans in
China still worship Gendum Choekyi Nyima as the 11th Panchen. Gyancain Norbu was in 2010 appointed to the country’s top legislative advisory body and
has been promoted by China as the leading guiding authority of Tibetan Buddhism in China. The Panchen Lama is the second most influential figure in Tibetan Buddhism after the Dalai Lama, whom China accuses of being a separatist.
6. The Scheme was launched in January 2011 by the Health and Family Welfare Department for tracking hildren until they get full immunisation and pregnant women all over their pregnancy period and delivering medical services to them as per the WHO guidelines ?
[A]Mother and Child Tracking System (MCTS)
[B]Pregnant Women Tracking Scheme (PWTS)
[C]Pregnant Women and Infant Tracking Project (PWITP)
[D]Infant and Pregnant Women Tracking Scheme (IPWTS)
Mother and Child Tracking System (MCTS)
Mother and Child Tracking System (MCTS), was launched in January 2011 by the Health and Family Welfare Department.
1.To track pregnant women all over their pregnancy period and delivering medical services to them as per the WHO guidelines.
2.To track children until they get full immunisation.
The MCTS is planned to compare data of all pregnant women and infants so as to ascertain deliverance of maternal and child health services from
conception till 42 days after delivery in the case of pregnant women and up to 5 years of age in the case of children so as to ascertain that all pregnant
women and all new born get full maternal and immunization services.
7. Recently a Business show was organized by Indian Government from February 11-13, 2012 in Pakistan to showcases the best of the Indian industry, cuisine and culture. What was this show ?
[B]India Trade Fair
[C]India Pakistan Mutual Trade Show
[D]India Business Mela
“India Show” being organized by Government of India from February 11-13, 2012, showcases the best of the Indian industry, cuisine and culture. Over 400
exhibitors participating in the Show which is meant to step-up future trade opportunities, B2B meetings and direct buyer-seller interaction.
The Main Objectives of the India Show are:-
1.Raise awareness of Indian products in Pakistan.
2.Attempt to normalise trade ties between the countries.
3.Kicking off a new phase in trade and economic engagement of India and Pakistan.
4.A platform for the business entrepreneurs to enhance their interactions that will lead to for forging new paths partnership on both sides.
8. Recently the last surviving veteran of the First World War passed away. She was :
[C]Florence Beatrice Patterson
Florence Beatrice Patterson
Florence Beatrice Patterson (19 February 1901 – 4 February 2012), the last surviving veteran of World War-1 passed away. She was 110 Years old. She
was born in London. She joined the Women’s Royal Air Force in September 1918 at the age of 17 years, where she served as an officers’ mess steward.
9. The ban on which organization was increased by 2 years by GoI in February 2012 ?
[A]Students Islamic Movement of India
[B]Manipur People’s Liberation Front
[C]Tamil Nadu Liberation Army
[D]All Tripura Tiger Force
Students Islamic Movement of India
Govt has elongated the ban inflicted on SIMI (Students Islamic Movement of India) by 2 more years. The Group was found to have links with Pakistan-
based terrorist outfits and thus banned. The Cabinet Committee on Security CCS, led by PM Manmohan Singh, sanctioned the suggestion of continuing
ban on SIMI. The effect would start from Feb end and will continue for another 2 Years. SIMI was adjudged illegitimate in 2001 when it came to hand that the group was occupied in a series of radical activities. Albeit SIMI tried to challenge the Govt’s decision in various courts but in vain.
10. TRAI (Telecom and Regulatory Authority of India) was established in year ________ by ________
[A]1997; an Executive Order of Government of India
[B]2001; an Executive Order of Government of India
[C]1997; an Act of Parliament
[D]2001; an Act of Parliament
1997; an Act of Parliament
TRAI (Telecom and Regulatory Authority of India) was established in year 1997 by an Act of Parliament.
11. Which of the following Services are offered by TRAI ?
1. Internet service
2. Cable Television
4. Mobile Telephony
[D]All of these
All of these
12. In March 2012, in which country is the “The Nuclear Security Summit” going to be held ?
13. Mini Pravasi Bhartiya Divas to be held in October, 2012 in which City / Country ?
[C]Trinad and Tobago
14. Which French firm won the deal is worth about $10 bn to supply 126 fighters to India ?
15. Mike Pandey was recently awarded with prestigious V. Shantaram Life Time Achievement Award at the Mumbai International Film Festival 2012. Mike Pandey is a renowned ?