Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Passes Away
- Bhimsen Gururaj Joshi, the legendary vocalist in the Hindustani classical tradition, was born into a Kannada family in Gadag, Karnataka, on February 4, 1922.
- He trained under Pt. Rambhau Kundgollar (Sawai Gandhrva) of Kirana Gharana in the traditional Guru-Shishya tradition.
- Praised by both critics and masses, his music had many shades –contemplative and mellow, intuitive and erratic.
- He was the recipient of many awards and recognitions, including Bharat Ratna, Padma Vibushan , Padma Bhushan, Padma Shree, and Sangeet Natak Akademi Award.
- Pt. Joshi was a very down to earth person and lead a very quiet and simple life.
- Apart from music, he had a fetish for driving cars.
- Pt Joshi married twice. His first wife was Sunanda Katti. They had four children. Later, he married Vastala Mudholkar, with whom he had three children.
- This legendary singer of Kirana Gharana died at the age of 88 on January 24, 2011, in Pune after prolonged illness. He was suffering from multiple organ failure.