Hurun India Future Unicorn Index 2022
The Hurun India Future Unicorn Index 2022 was released by Hurun Research Institute recently. As per index, India will have 122 new unicorns in next two to four years.
As per report, Startups, Zepto, Shiprocket, Turtlemint are at the top list of probable unicorns.
Classification of companies
Hurun India index has classified companies as:
- Would-be unicorns– Those companies founded after 2000 and valued at least USD 1 billion
- Gazelles– Those companies, which are likely to become unicorns in following two years. Gazelles are expected to be worth between USD 500 million and USD 1 billion. Gazelles pack is led by Shiprocket, which is a five-year-old Logistics Tech start-up. Shiprocket is followed by Zepto, Turtlemint, Ather Energy and Vivriti Capital. Other five start-ups in the list include Ninjacart, Rapido, Dunzo, ClearTax, Rapido, and Twin Health.
- Cheetahs– Those start-ups that could turn into unicorn in next four years. Cheetahs pack is led by Pepperfry. It is followed by Juspay and Mswipe Technologies. Pixis, SUGAR cosmetics, ZestMoney, WayCool, Cuemath, Bluestone, Winzo are other startups on the list.
- According to Hurun India’s findings, Bengaluru continues to be start-up capital of India. It is home to 46 probable Unicorns.
- Bengaluru is followed by Delhi NCR with 25 probable unicorns.
- Mumbai is at third place, with 16 probable unicorns.
What is a Unicorn company?
A unicorn is a privately held start-up company, with value of more than USD 1 billion. This term was first published in 2013. It was coined by venture capitalist Aileen Lee. Mythical animal “Unicorn” was chosen to represent statistical rarity of successful ventures.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022