GoI implements Shekatkar Committee to create border infrastructure
On May 18, 2020, the Government of India implemented the recommendations made by the Shekatkar Committee to create border infrastructure.
The GoI based on the recommendation of the committee has adopted Engineering Procurement Contract (EPC) to execute the works that costs more than Rs 100 crores. The recommendation of the committee to enhance procurement powers from Rs 7.5 crores to Rs 100 crores to the Border Road Organization has also been implemented.
The other recommendations that were implemented are as follows
- New Technologies such as blasting technology, use of Geo-Textiles, plastic coated aggregates for surfacing, cementitious base for pavements are being used to enhance pace of construction.
- The statutory clearances and land acquisition for forest and environmental clearances have been made part of Detailed Project Report.
- Also, the works can be awarded only when 90% of statutory clearances have been obtained.
The Shekatkar Committee was formed in 2018. It was constituted by the Ministry of Defence under chairmanship of Lt General DB Shekatkar.
The other recommendations made by the committee are as follows
- The committee recommended closure of military farms in peace regions
- The recruitment standard for the drivers in the army and clerical staff was enhanced. Also, the committee recommended reorganization of Army Headquarters.
- The number of officers in the army headquarters to be reduced by 200
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2020