Global Pravasi Rishta portal and app
The Government of India launched the Global Pravasi Rishta Portal and Mobile app. The application aims to connect the Indian Diaspora spread all over the world.
What is the main purpose of launching Global Pravasi Rishta Portal and Mobile app?
The Global Pravasi Rishta Portal and Mobile app will help to connect 3.12 crores Indian diaspora spread all over the world. It will create three-way communication between the Indian Missions (meaning the embassies), external affairs ministry and Indian diaspora. Indian Diaspora means scattered population whose origin is India. (Diaspora is mass spreading of population away from their indigenous territory).
The app is to be used by the by the Indian Diaspora and the portal by the missions.
Why is Global Pravasi Rishta Portal and Mobile app being launched?
So far, there is no effective communication channel available with the ministry to connect with Indian diaspora worldwide. The Indian diaspora and the ministry of external affairs have been using social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp to communicate during emergencies.
Which Ministry launched the Global Pravasi Rishta Portal and Mobile app?
Ministry of External Affairs launched the Global Pravasi Rishta Portal and Mobile app. It was launched by the Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan.
What are the benefits of Global Pravasi Rishta Portal and Mobile app?
- The portal created will enable the registration of Indian diaspora members. This includes PIOs (Person of Indian Origin), NRIs (Non-Resident Indians) and OCIs (Overseas Citizens of India).
- The portal will help connect the Indian Diaspora members to new and existing government schemes.
- The app and the portal will lend a helping hand during crisis management. The Indian diaspora can reach the consular services and officers in time during emergencies.
- The portal will provide useful information to the Indian Diaspora such as passport, visa and other consular services.
- It will also act as a platform for the GoI to take useful opinion from Indian Diaspora in framing policies.
- It will ease the process of conducting surveys.