GK & Current Affairs: July 13, 2013
1. United Nation has declared which one of the following dates as “Malala Day”?
United Nation declared July 12 as Malala Day to commemorate the birth day of Pakistan child activist Malala Yousafzai. The day is intended to represent the goal of education for all children.
2. Who among the following has been appointed as United Nation (UN) Women Chief?
United Nation secretary general Ban Ki-moon has appointed Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, a former deputy president of South Africa and women’s advocate as the new head of the United Nation body (UN Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women) tasked with promoting women’s right and their full participation in global affairs. Ms Mlambo-Ngcuka replaces Michelle Bachelet, a former president of Chile who served as the first Executive Director UN women empowerment body.
3. Under which of the following name the National Aviation University, has been proposed to being set up at Rae Bareli in the state of Uttar Pradesh?
[A]Mahatma Gandhi National Aviation University
[B]Rajiv Gandhi National Aviation University
[C]Tagore National Aviation University
[D]APJ Kalam National Aviation University
Rajiv Gandhi National Aviation University
The Union cabinet gave its approval to the proposal for setting up of a National Aviation University in the name of Rajiv Gandhi National Aviation University at the district of Rae Bareli in the State of Uttar Pradesh as a central university.
4. The abbreviated form of Computer VIRUS is______?
[A]Vital Information Resource Under Seize
[B]Vital Information Resource Under Secure
[C]Vital Information Replication Under Seize
[D]Vital Information Replication Under Secure
Vital Information Resource Under Seize
VIRUS-Vital Information Resource Under Seize. A computer virus is a computer programme that can replicate itself and spread from one computer to another without our knowledge and runs against our wishes. All computer viruses are man made. They insert themselves into the host programs and propagate when the infected program gets executed.
5. Which of the following statement is true about “Graphene”?
[A]It is one of the thinnest, strongest two dimensional material.
[B]It is a form of plastic material of good thermal conductivity.
[C]It is one of the thinnest, strongest one dimensional material.
[D]It is thinnest three dimensional material.
It is one of the thinnest, strongest two dimensional material. Graphene is a two dimensional material consisting of a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a honeycomb or chicken wire structure. It is the thinnest material known and yet it is also the one of the strongest.
6. Who among the following has been sworn in as the 9th Chief Minister of Jharkhand?
[B]Rajendra Prasad Singh
Hemant Soren, leader of Jharkhand Mukti Morch (JMM) and son of party Chief Shibu Soren sworn in as the 9th Chief Minister of Jharkhand.
7. Which among the following legislations governs the Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) in India?
[A]Environment Protection Act 1989
[B]Biological Diversity Act 2002
[C]Wildlife Protection Act’s 1972
[D]Both A and B
Both A and B
In India, we do not have an express statute to regulate GMOs. Currently, the Environment Protection Act’s 1989 rules govern the regulation of this controversial technology.
The government is now proposing a single-window, fast track clearance system in the form of Biotechnology Regulatory Authority to be set up through a statutory framework. Certain aspects of GMOs also fall under the Biological Diversity Act.
8. Which of the following country is estimated to have Worlds largest Shale gas reserve?
China has the largest shale gas reserve globally, at more than 1,115 trillion cubic feet, followed by Argentina (802 trillion Cub ft), Algeria (707 trillion Cub ft) and United States (665 trillion Cub ft).
9. Recently, Union government cleared the proposal to replace Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) with a new aviation regulator with full operational and financial
authority. The new regulatory body would be called as___?
[A]Civil Regulatory Authority
[B]Civil Aviation Authority
[C]Aviation Administration Authority
[D]Aviation Control Authority
Civil Aviation Authority
The new regulatory authority body would be called the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and would replace the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA). It will administer and regulate the civil aviation safety and manage safety oversight over air transport operators, air service navigation operators and operators of the other civil aviation facilities.
10. Tongam Rina, who has been selected for the prestigious prize for “Freedom and Future of the Media -2013” belongs to which of the following state?
Senior journalist of Arunachal Pradesh Tongam Rina has been selected for the prestigious prize for the Freedom and Future of the Media-2013 instituted by Media Foundation, Leipzing, Germany. Earlier Tongam Rina was honoured with the Laadli Media award 2011-12 for gender sensitivity November last year at Kolkata.