GK & Current Affairs: September 21, 22, 2015
1. Nuakhai festival is celebrated in which among the following states of India?
Nuakhai is an agricultural festival mainly observed by people of Western Odisha in India. Nuakhai is observed to welcome the new rice of the season. According to the Hindu calendar it is observed on panchamitithi (the fifth day) of the lunar fortnight of the month of Bhadrapada or Bhaadra (August–September), the day after the Ganesh Chaturthi festival. This is the most important social festival of Western Odisha.
2. Which of the following is the first developing country to prepare a Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan and to set up its own Climate Change Trust Fund?
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has been named as one of the winners of the UN’s highest environmental accolades – Champion of the Earth in recognition of Bangladesh’s far-reaching initiatives to address climate change. According to UNEP: Bangladesh is the first developing country to prepare a Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan and to set up its own Climate Change Trust Fund in 2009.It has one of the world’s largest solar home energy systems covering over 10% of its off-grid population, and earmarks 6% of its annual budget for climate change adaptation. Previous winners include National Geographic Society, South Africa’s Black Mamba Anti-Poaching Unit and Brazil’s cosmetic firm Natura.
3. The Long March-6 rocket was launched by which among the following countries recently?
China has successfully launched a newly-developed carrier rocket Long March-6, capable of taking satellites into the orbit, as part of the country’s space program. The 29.3-meter- long rocket carried 20 micro satellites into the space, which are due to be used for experiments in technology and new products, adding that the new carrier rocket uses a fuel composed of liquid oxygen and kerosene, which is purportedly free of toxicity and pollution. Based on a 2011 policy paper, the Long March-6 rockets are expected to be capable of putting not less than one ton of payload into the orbit at an altitude of 700 kilometres.
4. The Parchin military site, which was recently making news is in which country?
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has recently taken environmental samples from the sensitive military site in Iran. Parchin is a military complex located some 30 kilometres South of Iran’s capital Tehran. It has also served as a missile test range.
5. The Syriza party has recently won third national election in which of the following European countries recently?
In Greece, Alexis Tsipras’ left-wing Syriza party won country’s third national vote this year despite a party rebellion over his acceptance of a painful third international bailout. Though Syriza fell short of a governing majority in the 300-member parliament and was projected to win 145 seats, however it was expected to form a coalition government with ease.
6. Which of the following countries has world’s highest household broadband penetration in 2015?
Answer: South Korea
According to the State of Broadband 2015 report by the United Nations, Republic of Korea continues to have the world’s highest household broadband penetration, with 98.5 per cent of homes connected.
7. According to recently released National Health Profile 2015, which state has highest maternal mortality rate in India?
Maternal mortality ratio is highest in Assam, with 300 per one Lakh live births and the lowest in Kerala, with 61 per one Lakh live births
8. The Government of India has cleared procurement of Apache attack helicopters from which among the following manufacturers?
Ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the US, the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has cleared a multi-billion dollar deal for 22 Apache attack helicopters and 15 Chinook heavy-lift choppers with American aviation giant Boeing.
9. The Government of India is launching Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan for __?
[A]Persons of Old Age
[B]Persons with Disabilities
[C]Visually Impaired Persons
[D]Widows and abandoned women
Answer: Persons with Disabilities
Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment said the government will give all possible facilities to Persons with Disabilities under its national flagship campaign ‘Accessible India Campaign’ (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan). Starting from Mumbai, the programme will be initially implemented in 50 big cities across the country. The campaign will audit accessibility issues pertaining to government buildings among other things.
10. The FARC rebels are members of a terrorist organization which is in conflict with which of the following governments?
Recently Colombian government and FARC rebels have agreed to sign a definitive peace deal within six months to end half a century of conflict. .
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|