JSA II: Catch the Rain Awareness Generation Campaign
The Jal Shakti Abhiyan II: Catch the Rain Awareness Generation Campaign was recently launched in New Delhi. The campaign was launched by National Water Mission. It was launched under Ministry of Jal Shakti, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan.
About the Campaign
- The Campaign focuses on water conservation and rainwater harvesting.
- It will alert the stakeholders to create rain water harvesting structures suitable to climatic conditions.
- The campaign will cover 623 districts under phase II of Jal Shakti Abhiyan.
- It will hold meetings with local influencers.
- The tag line of the Catch the Rain Campaign is “Catch the rain, where it falls, when it falls”.
Activities suggested by the campaign
The campaign will encourage the stakeholders to create Rain Water Harvesting structures that are suitable to sub soil strata to store rain water. It is important because, the rain water falling in four to five months are the only source of water for most parts of the country. The following activities are to be encouraged during the Catch the Rain awareness campaign:
- Drives to create water harvesting pits
- Roof top Rain Water Harvesting Systems and check dams
- Removal of encroachments
- De-silting of tanks to increase their storage capacity;
- Removal of obstructions in the channels which bring water to the tanks and storage ponds from the catchment areas
- repairs to traditional water harvesting structures like step-wells
- Using defunct bore-wells and old wells to put the water back to aquifers
Jal Shakti Abhiyan II
The Jal Shakti Abhiyan was planned in two phases. The Phase I was planned between July and September, 2019 covering all the states. The phase II was to focus on states with retreating monsoon. This includes Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Puducherry. It mainly aims to accelerate five major water conservation areas. They are as follows:
- Water Conservation and rainwater harvesting
- Renovation of traditional and other water bodies and tanks
- Reuse and recharge structures
- Watershed development
- Intensive afforestation
India-Netherlands Strategic Partnership in Water Sector
Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently held a virtual summit with his Netherlands counterpart Mark Ru...
‘Catch the Rain” campaign to be Launched
The National Water Mission’s (NWM) campaign called “Catch the Rain” will be launched in st...
Harvesting Water from Air
Context in Current Affairs: A team of researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology-Guwahati (II...
Duare Sarkar: West Bengal New Public Outreach Campaign
‘Duare Sarkar” outreach programme was launched by the Bengal Government. Under the progr...
Ministry of Textiles launches “Local4Diwali” campaign
The Union Ministry of Textiles has launched a campaign for Diwali- “Local4Diwali”. The campaig...
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|