Current Affairs : September 26, 2011

PRITHVI (P-II) successfully test fired

  • PRITHVI (P-II), Surface to surface strategic Missile developed by DRDO was successfully flight tested at on September 26, 2011, from Launch Complex-III, ITR, Chandipur, Balasore District in Orissa
  • Launch operations carried by Armed Forces as part of usual training exercises
  • DRDO monitored the launch
  • It met all the mission objectives
  • It is the first indigenous surface to surface strategic Missile
  • Range: 350 km Load
  • Propelled by: Liquid propulsion twin engine

Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology conferred on 11 Scientists by CSIR

  • 11 scientists were conferred with the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology for the year 2011 by The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)

  • September 26: CSIR foundation Day
  • 463 scientists (including 14 women scientists) have been conferred Prize till 2010

The list of the awardees in the various categories is as follows:

Biological Sciences

  1. Dr Amit Prakash Sharma (International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, New Delhi)
  2. Dr Rajan Sankaranarayanan (CSIR Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology, Hyderabad).

Chemical Sciences

  1. Dr Balasubramanian Sundaram (Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore)
  2. Dr Garikapati Narahari Sastry (CSIR Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad).

Earth, Atmosapere, Ocean & Planetary Sciences

  1. Dr Shanker Doraiswamy (CSIR National Institute of Oceanography, Goa)

Engineering Sciences

  1. Dr Sirshendu De (Indian Institute of Technology, Dharagpur)
  2. Dr Upadrasta Ramamurty (Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore)

Mahtematical Sciences

  1. Dr Mahan Mj (Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University, Howrah)
  2. Dr Palash Sarkar (Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata)


Medical Sciences

  1. Dr Kithiganahalli Narayanaswamy Balaji (Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore)

Physical Sciences

  1. Dr Shiraz Minwalla (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai)
  • The SSB Prize for Science & Tech.  was first awarded in the year 1958
  • SSB for Science & Tech. is regarded as the country’s highest award in science and it is named after the founder director of CSIR, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar
  • Gven to a Scientist up to 45 years of age and has a prize of Rs 5 Lakh


World Boxing Championship commences Baku, Azerbaijan

  • The World Boxing Championship in Baku, Azerbaijan
  • More than 650 boxers from 120 countries to participate in the event
  • It is one of the biggest World Championships, also from here the initial batch of Olympic qualifiers will be identified


Sunken World War II Merchant Ship “S. S. Gairsoppa” found off the coast of Britain, £155m treasure on board

  • S. S. Gairsoppa: A sunken World War II merchant ship located off the coast of Britain

  • The British merchant ship was torpedoed by a German U-boat while carrying 200 tons of silver meant for funding the British war effort
  • S. S. Gairsoppa was located at a depth of about 4,700 m in the North Atlantic
  • Around £155m treasure on board
  • Under a deal with Britain, the salvage firm will retain 80% of the silver’s value and the rest 20% will be returned to the British Govt

Dev Anand to be awarded National Kishore Kumar Award

  • Dev Anand: Evergreen actor and director of Bollywood to be awarded the Madhya Pradesh Government’s National Kishore Kumar Award for the year 2010-11
  • Mr. Rajesh Roshan to be awarded the National Lata Mangeshkar Award
  • Both the awards carry an amount of Rs 2,00,000 and a plaque


The above 5 questions are part of Daily Current Affairs 20 MCQs Series in GKToday Android Application. This series can be subscribed in the app only for Rs. 799/- for entire year. Download Now


Leave a Reply