Current Affairs Quiz: October 14, 2013
1. Name the Geo-scientific research vessel, which is dedicated to the nation recently?
[A]RV Samudra Ratnakar
RV Samudra Ratnakar
2. As per the latest report, what is the ranking of India on the Global Hunger Index 2013?
India ranked 63rd position on the Global Hunger Index. In 2012, India stood at 67th position on GHI. According to the latest GHI, India still has “alarming levels” of hunger with highest prevalence of underweight in children under five at more than 40 per cent. On the GHI, India’s neighbouring countries like China score 6th position with moderate level of hunger, while Sri Lanka was at 43, Pakistan at 57 and Bangladesh at 58 having serious levels of hunger.
3. The term P5+1 refers to the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus which country?
The P5+1 is a group of countries which in 2006 joined the diplomatic efforts with Iran in regard to its nuclear programme. The term refers to the five permanent members of the United Nation Security Council plus Germany.
4. Mohan Dharia, who passed away recently, was a ____?
Mohan Dharia was well known personality in the fields of politics and environment protection. He was a distinguished Parliamentarian and an able administrator who served the nation in different spheres.
5. According to NASA scientist, atmosphere of which of the following planets are conducive to the formation of diamonds?
[A]Saturn and Jupiter
[B]Jupiter and Venus
[C]Venus and Saturn
[D]Uranus and Jupiter
Saturn and Jupiter
New research by NASA scientist says that up to 1,000 tonnes of diamonds are created in Saturn’s atmosphere every year, with Jupiter’s atmosphere being a prodigious producer of diamonds as well. The two gas giants atmosphere could be filled huge chunks of diamonds that could one day be taken back to earth. Scientists believe that the diamonds are formed by lightning storms which turns methane into carbon soot. As this carbons falls it hardens into pieces of graphite and then diamond. As the diamond continues to fall the pressure and temperature is so extreme, there’s no way the diamonds could remain solid.
6. Name the former Liberian President who sentenced to 50 years in prison for crimes against humanity?
Charles Taylor, the former Liberian president sentenced to 50 years in prison for crimes against humanity. Taylor, was charged with murder, rape, conscripting child soldiers and sexual slavery during interwined wars in Liberia.
7. In October 2013, which country has confirmed plans to create a secure mail service to protect its citizens and businesses against foreign espionage?
Brazil has confirmed plans to create a secure email service, following revelations of cyber-surveillance techniques used by the US and UK. The move aims to secure its citizens and businesses against foreign espionage.
8. Recently (October 2013), ONGC Videsh limited has won 2 land oil blocks in which of the following countries?
ONGC Videsh Limited has won 2 on land oil blocks in Myanmar. With this acquisition presence of ONGC in South East Asia Nations has strengthened. The firm go Blocks B-2 (Zebyutaung-Nandaw) and EP-3 (Thegon-Shwegu).
9. United States Lars Peter Hansen, Eugene Fama and Robert Shiller won the 2013 Nobel Economic Prize for their groundbreaking work on ___?
[A]Optimum allocation of resources
[C]Applied Dynamic model
[D]Financial inclusion theory
US trio Lars Peter Hansen, Eugene Fama and Robert Shiller won the 2013 Nobel Economic Prize for groundbreaking work on spotting trends in asset markets. Fama and Hansen are both professor at University of Chicago, while Shiller is a professor at Yale University in Connecticut.
10. In October 2013, which of the following countries has announced it would become the first member of the Euro zone, to exist an international bail-out programme?
Ireland announced that in end of this year it would become the first member of the Euro zone, to exist an International bail-out programme. From then on, Ireland will borrow money it needs, from the financial markets rather than relying on the loans.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|