Current Affairs: October 7, 2011
Nobel Peace Prize jointly won by 3 women
Nobel Peace Prize, 2011 was awarded jointly to 3 women-
1. Ms Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Liberian President
2. Ms Leymah Gbowee, Liberian peace activist
3. Ms Tawakkul Karman of Yemen
They were awarded for their work on women’s rights.
Draft National Policy on IT unveiled
- Draft National policy on Information Technology, 2011, was unveiled. The policy aims to put public procurement via electronic mode for better transparency. The policy targets at utilizing the potential of IT to deal with the economic and developmental challenges the nation confronts.
- A pool of 10 million extra skilled manpower in Information Communication Technology, ICT sector to be produced. IT to be utilized in a key way in social sector initiatives like Education, Health and Rural Development to endorse equity and quality.
NSD’s deemed varsity status withdrawn by the Govt
- The deemed university status granted to the National School of Drama in 2005 has been withdrawn by the Government of India with immediate effect. The Ministry of HRD held that National School of Drama was unable to meet the terms set for the Deemed University status.
On joining missile programme, India analysing the NATO offer
- As per the Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister to V.K. Saraswat, NATO’s invitation to India in the first week of September, 2011 to be a partner in its ballistic missile defence (BMD) programme is being studied.
- India has so far conducted 6 interceptor missile tests as part of its mission to set up a trustworthy shield against ballistic missiles. Of these, 5 interceptor tests, including the first 3 in a row, were successful. Now, DRDO busy with maiden launch of Agni-V ballistic missile in December.
- From the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur on the Orissa coast these 6 tests featured a missiles were launched mimicking the path of a ballistic missile coming from an “opponent country” and an interceptor launched from the Wheeler Island destroying the incoming missile in mid-flight. DRDO is the author of India’s BMD programme and the programme’s architect is Dr. Saraswat, DRDO Director-General.