Current Affairs June 13, 2011
NDT collection declines by 48 percent
- For the first 2 months of this fiscal The Gross Direct Tax (GDT) collection was up by 37 %
- The Net Direct Tax (NDT) collection declined by 48% in the same time period.
- As per the data released by the Finance Ministry, the decline in the NDT was due to more than 200% rise in tax refunds given by the IT Dept in the month of April- May.
- NDT = GDT – Refunds
Upendra Nath Brahma Soldier of Humanity Award
- Social Activist Niketu Iralu from Nagaland has been chosen for the Upendra Nath Brahma Soldier of Humanity Award for 2011
- Niketu Iralu (75 Years old) is Chairman of Naga Reconciliation Committee
- Award conferred by: The UN Brahma Trust
- Iralu is renowned peace maker among the Naga people and had been the key figure in spreading the Moral Rearmament Movement in 1957.
- As a member of the International Initiative of Change he has been working for peace at least in more than 30 countries
- He received the prestigious Gopi Nath Bordoloi National award in 2005.
Income Certificate issued by MLA will also be accepted to issue monthly Tickets: Railway Ministry
- Income Certificate issued by MLAs will also be accepted to issue monthly Season Tickets for the benefit of persons working in unorganized sectors.
- Facility in addition to the 5 kinds of certificates already permitted under its ‘Izzat’ Scheme.
- The Railway issues a monthly pass of Rs 25 for the distance of 100 KM to benefit the people earning less than fifteen hundred rupees in unorganized sector.
- Latest provisions of the scheme will be effective from next month.
WB govt to discuss Singur bill
- Bill seeks to revoke the Singur lease contract with the Tatas and take back the land leased to them.
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has said that her government is dedicated to return the 400 acre to unenthusiastic farmers and the residual nearly 600 acre for industry.
State Environmental Impact Assessment Authority for Kerala
- The centre approved for the terms of reference for carrying out the environmental impact assessment of the Vizhinjam Trans Shipment Port project near Thiruvananthapuram.
- Mr Jairam Ramesh (The Union Minister of Environment and Forests) said that the environmental impact assessment will be done at the site already selected by the Kerala Government.
- Kerala Govt has agreed to set up the State Environmental Impact Assessment Authority and the State Expert Appraisal Committee.
- Centre in dialogue with World Bank and UNDP for a Rs 90 Crore grant for the re-establishment of the Vembanad Eco System and Rs 10 crore rupees will be sanctioned immediately for starting the desilting, sewage treatment and pollution control work in the lake.
In Japan Radioactive strontium found in groundwater
- Highly toxic radioactive strontium found in groundwater near the Fukushima nuclear plant.
- First time the substance has been detected in groundwater near the plant’s No:1 and No:2 reactors.
- Strontium up to 240 times the legal limit.
- Strontium accumulates in bones and can cause bone cancer and leukaemia.
- Strontium (Sr) Atomic No: 38 in Periodic Table
- Sr is an Alakaline Earth Metal, soft silver-white or yellowish metallic element that is highly reactive chemically.
- Turns yellow when exposed to air.
- Strontium-90 (90Sr) isotope is present in radioactive fallout and has a half-life of 28.90 years.