Current Affairs : Awards : November 30-December5, 2009
Vice-President Hamid Ansari on Dec1, 2009 has inauguarted the first national Right to Information (RTI) awards.
- The first RTI awards were constituted by the Public Cause Research Foundation (PCRF) along with NDTV.
- The Best Citizen award went to Akhil Gogoi of Assam
- Best Public Information Officer (PIO) award was conferred upon Dr Lalit Narayan Mishra
- Best Information Commission award went to the Arunachal Pradesh Information Commission.
- The winners were given Rs 2 lakh, a citation and a certificate each while the remaining 18 finalists in Best Citizen award category and two other government officials in the Best PIO category, were given Rs 1 lakh, a citation and a certificate each.
- The awards were given by the jury comprising eminent personalities such as noted jurist Fali S Nariman, Justice J S Verma, badminton player Phullela Gopichand, noted dancer Mallika Sarabhai, former Chief Election Commissioner J M Lyngdoh and Dr Prannoy Roy, Chairman, NDTV.
- 19 people were shortlisted out of a total of 1,130 nominations received citizens category.
Assam based social activist Akhil Gogoi had exposed a Rs.1.25 crore scam in the Sampoorna Gram Rozgar Yojana (SGRY) and Rs.60 lakh scam in the Indira Awas Yojana in Gamariguri block of Golaghat district.
- Arunachal Pradesh State Information Commission has won the institutional award for Overall Public Satisfaction of 85 per cent in handling RTI. This is almost three times the national average of 26 per cent.
November 30, 2009: Bambi Awards:Kate Winslet Best Actress award
British actress Kate Winslet has been named the best international actress in 2009 Bambi Awards in Germany. She was awarded the prize for her role in ‘The Reader’, in which she had played a German woman with a secret Nazi past.
December 1, 2009: London Legend Award: Michael Caine
Veteran actor Sir Michael Caine, 76 was Chosen for London Legend Award.
December 2, 2009: Helen Keller Award 2009 : IBM
IBM has won Helen Keller Award for year 2009 from National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP) for its commitment to creating an inclusive environment at workplace, especially for people with disabilities. This award was given to IBM for its technology innovation and Spoken Web which has immense potential for improving the life of disabled people.
IBM has also won Union Government’s Best Employer Award 2008, ‘Accessibility Innovation’ award for the year 2007.
December 3, 2009: European Footballer of the Year Award, 2009 : Lionel Messi
Barcelona’s Argentione striker Lionel Messi has won the European Footballer of the Year award by France Football magazine (organizer of the poll since 1956).
December 3, 2009: ‘Officier de la Légion d’Honneur’: Lata Mangeshkar
The French Government has honored Lata Mangeshkar with the ‘Officier de la Légion d’Honneur’, France’s highest civilian award, for her contribution to music.
JNNURM Awards 2009:
‘Best city in earmarking land for the poor’ for 2008-09 (National Award under JNNURM) : Chandigarh
Best Performing JNURM City, Financial Management, Inclusive Pro-poor Project Implementation, and Implementation of Seven Point Programme: Surat
Best Mass Transit System Project – Ahamedabad for BRTS Janmnarg
December 5, 2009: Apsara awards
4th Apsara Film and Television Producers Guild Awards for year 2008 are as follows:
- Best Actor : Hritik Roshan : Jodha- Akbar
- Best Actress : Priyanka Chopra : Fashion
- Best film and best director plus 7 other awards : Taare Zameen Par
- Best Music : A R Rahman (Jodha Akabar)
- Best Lyrics : Prasoon Joshi: Maa & Taare Zameen par
- Best Male Debut: Imran Khan : Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na
- Best Female Debut: Mudha Godse : Fashion