Conference on Drug Trafficking and National Security
Union home minister Amit Shah inaugurated a “conference on drug trafficking and national security” on July 30, 2022. During the conference, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) will burn and dispose of more than 30,000 kg of drugs across Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai and Guwahati.
About Drug Disposal Campaign:
- NCB started the drug disposal campaign on June 1, 2022.
- Till July 29, more than 51,217 kg of narcotics have been disposed of by it across 11 states.
- NCB has taken a pledge to dispose-off 75000 kg of drugs, as a part of ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’ celebrations.
Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB):
NCB is an Indian central law enforcement and intelligence agency. It works under the Ministry of Home Affairs. It helps in combating drug trafficking as well as use of illegal substances, in accordance with the provisions of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act. NCB was set up in 1986. It coordinates with state governments in India and other central departments on matters related to drugs. International and foreign drug law enforcement agencies also get assistance of the NCB on matters related to drugs. It also implements following international obligations of India with respect to drug trafficking:
- Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs
- Convention on Psychotropic Substances, and
- United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances.
Officers in NCB are hired from Indian Police Service, Indian Revenue Service, and Paramilitary forces, apart from directly recruited members.
Category: Summits and Conferences