Bharat series (BH-series): New Registration Mark
Government of India has introduced a new registration mark under the Bharat Series (BH-Series) for new vehicles.
- New registration mark was launched in order to facilitate seamless transfer of vehicles.
- This citizen-centric, IT-based solution for vehicle registration was launched for facilitating mobility.
Government as well as private sector employees undergo station relocation. Such movements create unease for the employees with respect to the transfer of registration from parent state to another state. This is so because, section 47 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 provides that a person cannot keep the vehicle for more than 12 months in any state other than the state where vehicle is registered. Instead, a new registration can be made with the new state- registering authority within 12 months. Considering this difficulty, new BH-series were launched.
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways launched the BH-series to facilitate seamless transfer of vehicles.
- Vehicle with this registration mark will not require assignment of any new registration mark when owner of the vehicle shifts from one state to other.
- Vehicle registration facility under this series will be available on voluntary basis to Defense personnel, employees of Central or State Government, Central or State Public Sector Undertakings and private sector companies or organizations, having their offices across four or more States or Union territories.
- Motor vehicle tax will be levied for two years or in multiple of two. After completing fourteenth year, this tax will be levied annually and it will be half the amount that was charged earlier for that vehicle.