UN Climate Action Summit, 2019 held in New York
The UN Climate Change Summit, 2019 was held in New York. The key focus of the summit is to accelerate the actions to implement Paris agreement. To achieve this the summit focuses in 9 independent tracks that are led by 19 countries supported by international organizations. India and Sweden are leading the “Industry Transition” track and are supported by the World Economic Forum. The other tracks are as follows:
Action Portfolios of the summit
The following action portfolios were prioritized in the summit
- Energy transition – To accelerate the shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy
- Industry transition – To transform industries like steel, chemical, oil and gas, cement.
- Nature based solutions – To increase sink capacity and increasing resilience of oceans, forestry and agriculture by reducing emissions
- Cities and local action – Building low – emission buildings, transport.
- Climate finance and carbon pricing
Apart from this there are other 3 additional key areas. They are
- Mitigation – To create momentum for ambitious NDCs (Nationally Determined Contributions) and long term strategies that can achieve Paris agreement
- Public mobilization and Youth Engagement – To take actions against climate change
- Social and political drivers – to increase commitments in the areas like reduction in air pollution, generating jobs, protect vulnerable groups that affect well – being of the people.
The prime ministers of India and Sweden will launch a leadership group in September 24, 2019. The group will work on 3 central pillars
- Public private collaboration
- Industry commitment
- Innovation and technology exchange
About UN Climate Action Summit
The first summit had taken place in California in 2018. The purpose of the summit is to bring leaders from around the world together to hasten the implementation of Paris Agreement. At 2018 summit, the NDCs were re-calibrated. It was an opportunity to recognize the roadblocks and increase the commitments.
Tags: UN Climate Action Summit • World Economic Forum
Month: Current Affairs - September, 2019
Current Affairs MCQs PDF - May, 2023
Current Affairs [PDF] - May 16-31, 2023
Current Affairs [PDF] - May 1-15, 2023
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|