General Science Questions (MCQs) for Competitive Examinations
General Science Multiple choice questions for GK paper in SSC, NDA, CDS, UPSC, UPPSC and State PSC Examinations. These questions are part of GKToday’s 35000+ MCQs Bank Course in GKToday Android App
31. Chameleons are examples of which class of reptiles?
[D] None of these
Correct Answer: A [Diapsida]
Chameleon is an example of the Diapsida class of reptiles. They are diverse of all reptiles and have two temporal recesses in their skulls.
32. What is the function of the preen gland in birds?
[A] secretes a mixture of waxes
[B] secretes a mixture of lipids
[C] Both 1 and 2
[D] None of these
Correct Answer: C [Both 1 and 2]
The preen gland is situated near the base of the tail, secretes a mixture of waxes, lipids, and other organic compounds which the bird applies to its feathers. It is also called the oil gland.
33. Double Vagina is found in which of the following?
[D] All of the above
Correct Answer: C [Marsupials]
Double Vagina is found in Marsupials (a type of kangaroo). They have different reproductive organs as compared to other organisms.
34. Which of the following are Connective Tissues?
[A] Fluid Tissues
[B] Fibrous Tissue.
[C] Skeletal Tissue
[D] Muscle Tissue
Correct Answer: D [Muscle Tissue]
There are three types of connective tissue: Fluid Connective Tissue, Fibrous Conctive Tissue, Skeletal Connective Tissue
35. In which part of our body food gets absorbed?
[A] Small Intestine
[B] Large Intestine
Correct Answer: A [Small Intestine]
Our small intestine absorbs most of the nutrients in our food. Your circulatory system sends them to other parts of your body to be stored or used.
36. The human alimentary canal runs from the mouth to the anus and is approximately how many meters long?
[A] 4 m
[B] 15 m
[C] 9 m
[D] 1 m
Correct Answer: C [9 m]
The human alimentary canal runs from the mouth to the anus and is approximately 9 meters long.
37. Which gland is also known as the emergency gland of the body?
[A] Thymus gland
[B] Thyroid gland
[C] Pineal gland
[D] Adrenal gland
Correct Answer: D [Adrenal gland]
The adrenal gland is also known as the emergency gland of the body. These glands produce more than 150 hormones that control various functions in the body. The most famous is adrenaline, which triggers the flight or fight response.
38. A hormone that is synthesized from histidine amino acid:
Correct Answer: A [Histamine]
A hormone that is synthesized from histidine amino acid is Histamine. While Epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine are amine hormones, which are synthesized by modifying the amino acid tyrosine.
39. Which organ is affected by Japanese encephalitis?
[A] brain and spinal cord
[C] liver and pancreas
Correct Answer: A [brain and spinal cord]
The Brain and spinal cord organs are affected by Japanese encephalitis. This is a viral infection caused by infected mosquitoes in Asia and the western Pacific.
40. A nitrogen-fixing bacterium that forms loose associations with the roots of crop plants is __.
[B] Bacillus polymyxa
Correct Answer: D [Azospirillum]
A nitrogen-fixing bacterium that forms loose associations with the roots of crop plants is Azospirillum.