Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana: Free Food Grains till June
The Government of India recently announced that it will provide five kilo grams of free food grains under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana till June 2021. The free food grains are being provided to those covered under the National Food Security Act, 2013. This is to continue till June 2021.
What is the plan?
Around eighty crore beneficiaries are being provided with free food grains (rice or wheat) at a scale of 5 kg per person per month. This is over and above the monthly entitlements under the National Food Security Act. These are the beneficiaries that are covered under both Antyodaya Anna Yojana and Priority Householders.
The extension of the scheme is to cost an additional Rs 26,000 crores. The Government of India has announced that it will bear all the expenditure. Also, the central assistance is to be provided to states and union territories on account of intrastate transportation.
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana
- The scheme was launched in March 2020. It is operated by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- It was launched for a period of April 2020 to June 2020 at an estimated cost of Rs 1.7 lakh crores.
- The scheme was extended till November 2020 with an additional allocation of Rs 90,000 crores.
- The scheme provided 5 kg of rice or wheat and one kilo grams of chana to each family per month.
- It was a part of Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
Criticisms prevail that the scheme failed to distribute grains to the intended recipients. Eleven states distributed less than 1% of food grains and two states failed to distribute any grains.