Nominations for Padma Awards – 2022 starts
Online nominations or recommendations for Padma Awards comprising of Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri has started and the last date of nomination is September 15, 2021.
- Padma awards will be announced on the occasion of Republic Day, 2022.
- Nominations or recommendations for Padma Awards will be received online only on Padma Award portal.
- Recommendations will be considered by Government in line with its commitment of transforming Padma Awards into “People’s Padma”.
- Citizens are requested to identify talented persons whose excellence and achievements deserve to be recognized.
- Talents are to be recommended amongst women, SC/STs, divyang persons and those providing selfless service to society.
Padma Awards are the highest civilian honours in India which is announced annually on the eve of Republic Day. Awards are conferred in three categories:
- Padma Vibhushan- For exceptional and distinguished service,
- Padma Bhushan- For distinguished service of higher order and
- Padma Shri- For distinguished service.
These awards are presented to recognize achievements across all fields of activities or disciplines where element of public service is involved.
How Awards are conferred?
Padma Awards are conferred following the recommendations of Padma Awards Committee, constituted by the Prime Minister every year. Nomination process is opened to the public. Self-nomination can also be made.
Bharat Ratna & Padma Vibhushan awards were instituted in 1954. The latter comprised of three classes namely Pahela Varg, Dusra Varg and Tisra Varg. These were later renamed as Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri on January 8, 1955 with a Presidential Notification.