Kulandei Francis receives Ramon Magsaysay award
Mr. Kulandai Francis has been awarded with Ramon Magsaysay award for his endeavors to alleviate more than one lakh rural women out of poverty and empowering for 35 years.
He runs an organization, the Integrated Village Development Project (IVDP) which is at Krishnagiri district of Tamilnadu. The organization has 8500 strong self help groups.
The IVDP renders the following services:
- Imparts training to rural students
- Enhances skills like training in rural sanitation, accountancy, management,
- Offers educational aid for students in high schools, scholarships and computer skills.
- Created science labs, computer labs, solar lamps in schools
- Encourages savings and credit activities among the economically weak and backward.
- Constructed at least 300 check dams in the region to save water for irrigation and drinking purposes
- HIV testing for pregnant women
- Non formal schools for child laborers
- Sanitation facilities in the tribal areas