Karnataka to host Khelo India University Games 2021
The chief minister of Karnataka, BS Yeddyurappa, announced that Karnataka will be hosting the second Khelo India University Games (KIUG) in the year 2021.
- The Khelo India University Games will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Games will be held in the Jain University and other venues of the state.
- Jain University will organise the games in collaboration with the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
Khelo India University Games (KIUG)
- It is a national level multi-sport largest University game in India.
- The event observes the participation of athletes from universities across the country who compete with each other in different sport disciplines.
- It is organised by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports and Sports Authority of India (SAI) in collaboration with the Association of Indian Universities, Indian Olympic Association and National Sports Federation.
- This event was launched after the Khelo India Youth Games become successful.
- The game is organised with the aim of tapping the sporting talent so that they can represent India at the international events like
- First edition of the event was organised in the Bhubaneswar in February
- In the 2020 event, a total of 3,182 participants took part in the U-25 age group. They came from 158 universities and colleges across the states.
In this event, Yogasana and Mallakhamb have also been added to list of games. It was done with the objective of preserving and promoting the century-old sporting disciplines of India. Organisers expect that, this move will increase the number of participants this year.
Sports Authority of India
It is the apex national sports body that was established in 1982. It was established by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in order to develop the sport in India. It also manages the Netaji Subhash High Altitude Training Centre which is located at Shilaroo in Himachal Pradesh. The Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Dhyan Chand National Stadium, Indira Gandhi Arena, Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range etc are also managed by the Sports authority of India.