India-Kuwait MoU on Domestic Worker Recruitment
India and Kuwait signed an MoU on cooperation on domestic worker recruitment on June 10, 2021.
- This MoU will bring Indian domestic workers in Gulf nation within the legal framework which will provide them protection under law.
- Agreement will also streamline recruitment of domestic workers.
- It will ensure rights and obligations of domestic workers as well as employer.
- A 24-hour assistance mechanism will be established to assist domestic workers.
- A joint committee will also be set up to assess and review periodically on implementation of MoU.
MoU was signed between Indian Ambassador Sibi George and Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Kuwait Majdi Ahmad Al-Dhafiri during a three-day bilateral visit of External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar in Kuwait to mark 60th anniversary of establishment of bilateral relations between India and Kuwait.
Indians in Kuwait
Community of Indians in Kuwait comprises of Indian expatriates in Kuwait and Kuwaiti citizens of Indian origin or by descent. As per Indian ministry of external affairs, about 10 lakh Indians are residing in Kuwait as of 2020. Majority of Indians belong to Kerala and Tamil Nadu. India is one of the largest trading partners of Kuwait and Kuwait is a key supplier of oil to India.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2021