GK & Current Affairs: September 15, 16, 2014
1. Which Indian snooker player has announced his retirement from professional snooker?
Pankaj Advani recently announced to retire after Indian Snooker Open in September 2014.
2. What is India’s rank in the list of world’s largest crude-oil importing countries in the world?
India has overtaken Japan in its rising demand for crude oil. It imports 3.86 million barrels a day as against 6.30 million barrels for China which is the largest importer in the world.
3. Which two nations have inaugurated the first triangular India-US-Africa partnership in agricultural training at the National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management (MANAGE), Hyderabad?
[A]India and US
[B]India and South Africa
[C]India and France
[D]India and China
India and US
4. Who among the following served as first Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission?
[A]Justice Sabyasachi Mukharji
[B]Justice P N Bhagwati
[C]Justice Ranganath Misra
[D]Justice YV Chandrachud
Justice Ranganath Misra
Justice Ranganath Misra (November 25, 1926 – September 13, 2012) served as 21st Chief Justice of India between September 25, 1990 to November 24, 1991. He was the first chairman of the National Human Rights Commission. He was also nominated to the Rajya Sabha in the early 1990s during the Congress government in centre.
5. Komik, the highest motorable village of the world at 4513 metres is located in ___?
[B]Jammu & Kashmir
Komik village with highest motorable road in the World is located in Spiti Valley in Himachal Pradesh.
6. Which among the following animals are found in their natural habitat in the Cold Desert of India?
1. Snow Leopard
2. Tibetan Wolf
Select the correct option from the codes given below:
[A]1 & 2
[B]2 & 3
[C]1 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
1, 2 & 3
The common mammalian fauna of the cold desert in India include Leopard, Snow Leopard, Tibetan Wolf, Jackal, Leopard Cat, Lynx, Common Palm Civet and Himalayan Palm Civet, Striped Hyaena, Wild Yak, Shapu (or Urial), Nayan (Great Tibetan Sheep), Bharal, Ibex and Musk Deer.
7. Consider the following statements:
1. Rotavirus is one of the primary causes of mortality for children less than five years of age in India
2. Rotavirus causes moderate to severe diarrhoea in infants
Which among the above is / are correct statements?
[C]Both 1 & 2
[D]Neither 1 nor 2
Both 1 & 2
Both the statements are correct. Rotavirus is the primary cause of moderate to severe diarrhoea morbidity and mortality for children less than five years of age in India. India has introduced the Rotavac, new rotavirus vaccine against the Rotavirus gastroenteritis. From 2015, the Rotavirus vaccine will be introduced as an additional dose along with the first, second and third doses of DPT in the UIP (Universal Immunization Programme).
8. Mumbai’s Esplanade House, which recently bagged the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Awards, once served as residence of __?
[A]Mahadev Govind Ranade
[B]Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata
[C]Ghanshyam Das Birla
Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata
Esplanade House, the Mumbai residence of the founder of the Tata empire, Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata, has recently received an Honourable Mention in the 2014 UNESCO Asia-Pacific awards for cultural heritage conservation. Another site from India is Shri Sakhargad Nivasini Devi Temple Complex in Satara.
9. The biggest resource of gold above ground in the world is in which among the following countries?
India has the biggest resource of gold above ground in the world at around 25,000 tonnes as the household gold.
10. Which among the following animals is also known as “aquatic panda”?
[A]Ganges River Dolphin
[B]Chinese White Dolphins
[C]Indus river dolphin
[D]Amazon river dolphin
Chinese White Dolphins
Chinese White Dolphins, or “aquatic pandas” are believed to present on earth since the time of Dinosaurs are said to be facing extinction. Individuals of this mammal species are said to reach the lowest numbers of just 100 from its population of 1000s. It is said that lack of natural reproduction has triggered the same.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|