GK & Current Affairs – January 23, 24, 2016
1. Who is holding the record of highest singles wins at grand slams?
Answer: Martina Navratilova
Recently, Roger Federer became the first man to achieve 300 singles wins at grand slams. Presently, Martina Navratilova holds the all-time record of 306 singles wins at grand slams.
2. Which of the following organisations published the World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2016 report?
Answer: United Nations
As per recently released United Nations (UN) World Economic Situation and Prospects 2016 Report, India will be the fastest growing big economy in the world in 2016. The report has projected India’s growth rate by 7.3 % in the year 2016 and 7.5 % in 2017 slightly up from an earlier estimated 7.2 % rate in 2015.
3. Which of the following countries has won the first Blind T20 Asia Cricket Cup?
India defeated Pakistan in the final match to win the first-ever Blind T20 Asia Cup at Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium in Kochi.
4. The headquarters of the International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) are located at which city?
The International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) is an independent non-profit organisation working for advancing sustainable development through trade-related policymaking. It was founded in 1996 and its headquarters are located in Geneva, Switzerland.
5. Who has won the 2016 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Badminton title?
[B]P V Sindhu
Answer: P V Sindhu
Indian Shuttler P V Sindhu has won the 2016 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Badminton title. In the final match played at Penang, she defeated Scotland’s Kirsty Gilmour. This was Sindhu’s second title in Malaysia Masters Grand Prix which and earlier she had won in 2013. It was overall fifth career Grand prix gold title and first title of the season 2016. Sindhu’s other four titles are Malaysia Masters (2013) and hat-trick Macau Open won in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
6. The first Ministerial Meeting of the Arab-India Cooperation Forum took place in which country?
The first Ministerial Meeting of Arab-India Cooperation Forum was held in Manama, capital city of Bahrain. The meeting was attended by representatives of 22 Arab League nations. Indian side was represented by Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj. At the end of the meeting, both sides issued a joint statement called the Manama Declaration.
7. Sourav Kothari is associated with which of the following sports?
Kolkata cueist Sourav Kothari beat Siddharth Parekh in the final of the National Billiards Championship. It is his second National Billiards title win. He won his maiden crown in 2014.
8. Which of the following is the first railway station in India to have free high-speed Wi-Fi Internet facility?
[A]Chennai Central station
[B]Mumbai Central station
[C]New Delhi station
Answer: Mumbai Central station
Google India and Indian Railways’ telecom arm RailTel has launched free Rail Wire Public Wi-Fi service for railway passengers at the Mumbai Central Station. With this, Mumbai Central has become the first railway station in India to have free high-speed Wi-Fi Internet facility.
9. The Feni is a popular drink of which state?
Goa government has initiated a process to tag Feni as heritage brew outside the state. It attained the Geographical Indication (GI) status in 2010.
10. Social Activist Nirmala Gajwani, who passed away recently, hails from which state?
Former Deputy Speaker of Gujarat Assembly and Social Activist Nirmala Gajwani (87) passed away in Rajkot, Gujarat. She was 87. She was the first lady Deputy Speaker of Gujarat legislative Assembly and was reputed social worker and one of the leading lights of the Sindhi community in the state.