GK & Current Affairs: April 3, 4, 2015
1. The South-West African People Organisation (SWAPO) is a major political party of which country? [A]Namibia [B]Kenya [C]Cuba [D]Angola
SWAPO is a political party in Namibia. The party was originally founded to advocated immediate Namibian independence from South Africa. SWAPO became Namibia’s leading political party since 1990.
2. India’s Dronavalli Harika is associated with which sport/event? [A]Chess [B]Badminton [C]Tennis [D]Basketball
Dronavalli Harika is an Indian chess grandmaster. She won the bronze medal in the World Women’s chess championships 2015 along with Swedish Grandmaster Pia Cramling.
3. Which is the world’s largest urban area in both size and population? [A]Tokyo [B]Pearl River Delta [C]Mumbai [D]London
Answer: Pearl River Delta
China’s Pearl River Delta is the world’s largest urban area according to a report from the World Bank. Pearl River Delta has overtaken Tokyo to become largest area. The megacity which covers a significant part of China’s manufacturing heartland and includes the cities of Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Foshan and Dondduan is now home to more people than the countries of Canada, Argentina or Australia.
4. The first female president of Basketball Federation of India is __? [A]Poonam Mahajan [B]Menaka Gandhi [C]P T Usha [D]Roopam Harish Sharma
Answer: Poonam Mahajan
Poonam Mahajan was unanimously elected as the president of Basketball Federation of India. She became the first female president for the first time of the federation since it came into existence in 1950. The 34-year-old Poonam is the youngest president of any national federation in India.
5. Which two countries participate in annual Balikatan military exercise? [A]Pakistan & Saudi Arabia [B]India & Malaysia [C]Philippines & USA [D]South Korea & Australia
Answer: Philippines & USA
The Balikatan is the code name for annual military exercise between United States and Philippines. Balikatan is a Tagalog word meaning Shoulder-to-Shoulder. Balikatan 2015, the 31st iteration of the bilateral exercise, will be held from April 20 to 30.
6. Where is located Asia’s largest tulip garden? [A]Himachal Pradesh [B]Jammu & Kashmir [C]Uttar Pradesh [D]Uttarkhand
Answer: Jammu & Kashmir
Indira Gandhi memorial tulip garden is in Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir is the largest tulip garden in Asia. The garden spread over an area of about 12 hectares and situated on the foothills of Zabarwan Range.
7. The winner of Golden Peacock National Quality Award for the year 2015 is __? [A]Hindustan Aeronautics Limited [B]Rajiv Gandhi International Airport [C]Delhi International Airport Limited [D]Bharat Electronics Limited
Answer: Delhi International Airport Limited
Delhi International Airport Limited has won the prestigious Golden Peacock National Quality Award for the year 2015. Golden Peacock Awards were founded by the Institute of Directors, India in 1991 and are globally regarded as a benchmark of corporate excellence.
8. What is India’s per capita availability of milk in 2013-14? [A]296 grams [B]300 grams [C]307 grams [D]326 grams
Answer: 307 grams
The per capita availability of milk in India in 2013-14 was around 307 grams which is more than the world average 294 grams per day. India’s milk production during 2013-14 is 137.7 million tonnes.
9. India’s largest state in horticulture production is __? [A]West Bengal [B]Andhra Pradesh [C]Uttar Pradesh [D]Maharashtra
Answer: West Bengal
West Bengal is leading in total horticulture production (292 lakh MT) followed by Andhra Pradesh (289.13 lakh MT). West Bengal is also leading in the production of vegetables.
10. Rengali irrigation project is located in which of the following states? [A]West Bengal [B]Odisha [C]Madhya Pradesh [D]Himachal Pradesh
India has signed a loan deal with Japan for the development of the second phase of the Rengali irrigation project in Odisha. The Japanese loan for Rengali Irrigation Project will be provided to install irrigation facilities, organise and build the capacity of water users associations, and extend technical guidance to the farmers in the area of River Burahmani in Odisha. Reference
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »