General Knowledge 2016 – Quiz-1: GK for UPPSC Examinations
1. The Battle of Chillianwalla was a part of?
Answer: Anglo-Sikh Wars
Battle of Chillianwalla was fought on 13 January 1849 during the Second Anglo-Sikh War. Sikhs fought British in this battle under Shersingh.
2. Which among the following is the source of Ricin, a toxic substance?
Answer: Castor bean
Ricin is a toxin that is fatal to humans in extremely small doses. Just 1 milligram is a deadly amount if inhaled or ingested, and only 500 micrograms of the substance would kill an adult if it were injected (CDC). Ricin comes from the castor bean plant (Ricinus communis) it is present in the mash that is left over after grinding castor beans into oil. It can be delivered as a powder, a mist or a pill. Ricin is a ribosome-inactivating protein it irrevocably damages the ribosomes that carry out protein synthesis in cells. The ribosome-inactivating proteins found in the castor bean plant are extremely powerful, and ricin poisoning can do serious damage to major organs.
3. Which among the following is known as “Sairandhri Vanam”?
[A]Silent Valley National Park
[B]Mudumalai National Park
[C]Periyar National Park
[D]Guindy National Park
Answer: Silent Valley National Park
4. Which among the following correctly denotes Mycorrhiza?
[A]Fungus + Roots
[B]Fungus + Stem
[C]Bacteria + Roots
[D]Bacteria + Stem
Answer: Fungus + Roots
5. Which among the following is the main fatty acid of the Sunflower Oil?
Answer: Linoleic acid
6. During British Era, the Duke Memorandum became the basis of which among the following?
[C]Indian Councils Act 1909
[D]Government of India Act 1935
Answer: Mont-Ford Reforms
Duke Memorandum is associated with Sir William Duke, a member of the English Round Table Group and he had formulated a scheme which eventually became the basis of Joint Report of Montague and Chelmsford.
7. The first Individual Satyagrahi, Acharya Vinoba Bhave offered Satyagraha in which among the following way?
[A]By not paying taxes
[B]By burning British Flag
[C]By making an antiwar speech
[D]By making a speech against the Viceroy of India
Answer: By making an antiwar speech
8. Hkakabo Razi is a border tripoint between which countries?
Hkakabo Razi which is famous for Hkakabo Razi National Park, is a border tripoint between India-China-Myanmar.
9. Chagos Archipelago is located in which of the following?
Answer: Indian Ocean
10. Which of the following countries is not a member of Commonwealth of Nations?
Irish Republic came into being on 29 December 1937 and on 18 April 1949, it went out of Commonwealth. Further, Zimbabwe was first suspended in 2002 and later it withdrew in 2003.
Category: GK Today's Quiz Archive
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|